Homesteaders

Pics
I know that Cedar is best but I have to work with what I can afford. At HD each board was 51 cents.

You can of course use different things. I've seen sand filled burlap bags and bales of hay or straw used for the side walls.

I'm not sure why you'd want to sand them. If they are rough cut lumber it won't matter. As long as there is not treatment or paint on them they should be fine. 2x 4's are perfectly okay. I used the wider/taller boards so I have less bending to do. Plus I couldn't dig the soil cuz it was hard fill and had a lot of tarvia in it. So being advised I put in raised beds. Being deeper the roots don't go down into the hard fill.

I also laid black plastic down first.
Why did you lay the black plastic down? Was it to keep the moisture in or keep the roots from growing down? I have never had a garden and only just bought my first tomato plant last weekend-along with 2 dwarf fruit trees and some flowers. I have always killed my plants from not enough water or too much water. My raised bed will be a beginners bed. If I kill something I will just keep trying. Any and all tips will help me
bow.gif

Rancher,
Your garden looks very good! One question - how do you keep the deer out? I have tried many things, but they are outsmarting me so far...........
hmm.png
I plan to do 2x4's at each bed corner next year and run snow fencing overtop and chicken wire around the bottom - any other suggestions (other than shooting them)? Sue

I don't get many deer here, rabbits mostly and mice. The year I took the plastic off this bed I found a mouse and a large snake. Neither scare me. I have a friend who bought electric fencing after having a hard time with deer. Strangely it's the folks who live closer to the city who have deer problems.

Why did you lay the black plastic down? Was it to keep the moisture in or keep the roots from growing down? I have never had a garden and only just bought my first tomato plant last weekend-along with 2 dwarf fruit trees and some flowers. I have always killed my plants from not enough water or too much water. My raised bed will be a beginners bed. If I kill something I will just keep trying. Any and all tips will help me
bow.gif

I had intended NOT to plant that bed that year. I'm older and tired so I thought I'd just close some of the beds up and not used them. However I had started some Okra and needed a place to put it. I'd had tomatoes and garlic the two previous years.

I fill them with whatever I can get. Chicken cleanings, grass cuttings, horse manure, top soil or garden soil if it's on sale. Just a mix of stuff. This is my first year with composting. I trade chicks for horse manure so it's usually older and bagged making it easier to distribute.

If you have a large area to clear, I suggest getting card board boxes and lay them down over the area in the fall. In the spring you should have a nice area cleared of vegetation. Though you will have to keep it that way thereafter. I just use more cardboard.

Here is another idea... When we moved here a little over a year ago, there was an old shed half full of old tires of all different shapes and sizes. I figured maybe we could plant in them, using the same raised garden
idea. Sure enough , when I started searching
online there were many people who have
done just that! I planted tomatoes, peppers,
and even a tire of zucchini. I wasn't sure if
they would produce enough but I was
amazed!! I have canned spaghetti sauce,
plain tomato sauce, salsa , and ketchup.
They did so well that I am planning on
adding more tires next year and perhaps
trying beans in them as well. My husband
bought an old 2N Ford tractor and he and my
son got it ready to plow up a big garden next
spring. Between that and the tires we should
be able to grow and harvest quite a bit next
year!

Last edited:
Rancher - you are blessed! We are 10miles from the nearest town, but we have hordes of deer it seems!! The youngsters have just flattened out my hoops to get to the spinach & beets
barnie.gif
I'm starting to think my only alternative is to extend the 4ft fence to an 8ft height - an expense I really don't want to contemplate.Sue

Last edited:
Rancher,
Your garden looks very good! One question - how do you keep the deer out? I have tried many things, but they are outsmarting me so far...........
hmm.png
I plan to do 2x4's at each bed corner next year and run snow fencing overtop and chicken wire around the bottom - any other suggestions (other than shooting them)? Sue

I have used cut Irish spring soap bars and hung them from branches of apple trees on my property in Maine with great success. They hate the smell of it. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom