Homesteaders

@Beekissed Guess what!! We added 2 new berry bushes, 2 new grape vines and 4 nut trees to our property. Plus we expanded our garden to include an extra 1/4 acre to fit enough to last all winter. We also added 20 more birds.

@Beekissed Guess what!! We added 2 new berry bushes, 2 new grape vines and 4 nut trees to our property. Plus we expanded our garden to include an extra 1/4 acre to fit enough to last all winter. We also added 20 more birds.

th.gif
Wowza!!!! You are moving right along!!! I always wanted berries, grapes and nut trees.....good, good choices. Your homestead is really taking off now and I'm so excited for you....nothing like building a homestead.
hugs.gif

We added pine bark mulch to our blueberries and blackberry beds this year. Most mulches lower the acidity of the soil, pine bark raises it. Both berries are in their first year and so far it looks like I'll have a handful of blueberries and a truckload of blackberries.
wee.gif

The blackberries are sending up HUGE canes with no berries on them. The canes are about 2 inches to 3 inches thick. I've never seen canes this thick before. They are also about 7 feet tall and still growing. Will they flower next year after we trim them? Are they maybe 'male' canes and therefore non producing?

I can't imagine trying to harvest from 10 foot tall blackberry bushes.
th.gif

Just use a ladder and lay it against the bush, that is what people do around here for the wild blackberries at the parks. Granted our bushes are super thick and that is the only way to get a good harvest from them because the city takes a brush mower to the front of the bushes to keep them off the levy path.

I would be glad to have a truckload of anything.

My raspberries are doing well but I'm not sure there will be enough for anything. The Currants are doing good but it looks like something is eating the green berries. I did notice a squirrel today. He will be dealt with.

Now a question. I have garlic growing in at least three spots where I'd planted it previously. Apparently I missed few bulbs. Should I leave it or would it be good to pull it now? How can I be sure not to have this happen again.

Also does the thickness at the bottom of the stalk give an indication as to the size of the bulb?

Also I have some hanging in the garage from last year but one bulb is sprouting. Should I plant it?

Finally, should I plant garlic in the same area every year? In this case "raised bed"?

I personally would rotate onions and garlic to a different bed every year. There is a mold or mildew that builds up in the soil and will harm the next crop. Plus they eat up a certain nutrient that is better if rotated to a different bed/box so it has a chance to rebuild back up.

My raspberries are doing well but I'm not sure there will be enough for anything. The Currants are doing good but it looks like something is eating the green berries. I did notice a squirrel today. He will be dealt with.

Now a question. I have garlic growing in at least three spots where I'd planted it previously. Apparently I missed few bulbs. Should I leave it or would it be good to pull it now? How can I be sure not to have this happen again.

Also does the thickness at the bottom of the stalk give an indication as to the size of the bulb?

Also I have some hanging in the garage from last year but one bulb is sprouting. Should I plant it?

Finally, should I plant garlic in the same area every year? In this case "raised bed"?

wait to harvest until the lower leaves are brown.
.the number of leaves tell how many cloves and usually the stalk does give a size indication.
you could plant the sprouts...green garlic is good ..like green onions..but mine never made much of a bulb from a spring planting.
Best to rotate, but I have added compost and manure ..they are heavy feeders
.http://awaytogarden.com/growing-and-storing-a-year-of-garlic/

Are there any Urban Homesteaders from Florida on this board? I can only garden a very small section and am not allowed animals in this community so hope to relocate. I can, bake and make soap,salves and such. Wanting to share experiences.

I personally would rotate onions and garlic to a different bed every year. There is a mold or mildew that builds up in the soil and will harm the next crop. Plus they eat up a certain nutrient that is better if rotated to a different bed/box so it has a chance to rebuild back up. 

Now a question. I have garlic growing in at least three spots where I'd planted it previously. Apparently I missed few bulbs. Should I leave it or would it be good to pull it now?  How can I be sure not to have this happen again. 

Finally, should I plant garlic in the same area every year?  In this case "raised bed"?  

wait to harvest until the lower leaves are brown.
.the number of leaves tell how many cloves and usually the stalk does give a size indication. 
you could plant the sprouts...green garlic is good ..like green onions..but mine never made much of a bulb from a spring planting.
Best to rotate, but I have added compost and manure ..they are heavy feeders
.http://awaytogarden.com/growing-and-storing-a-year-of-garlic/

Thank you both for the info...I have a garlic and onion bed, they have been there two years, I will try to rotate this year

I have another question. While we were gone my dd tossed out some potatoes, a yam and some onions. What would you do with these? I have thought to pull them from the compost pile and plant them.

Back
Top Bottom