Homesteaders

When I had chickens many years ago my stepdad started me out with about 8 game hens and a game rooster. After a year I had around 60 due to their broody nature and hatching out 2 or 3 clutches from each hen in the spring and summer. I would lock them up at night and let them free-range during the daytime. A hawk attempted to get them but never did, when it would fly over the chickens would hide. One of my girls had her head chew on while sitting on the nest but lived (it was probably a opossum) but finally the thing that wipe out 3/4th of my flock was 2 stray dogs. Within 15 minutes I was down to around 20 birds. Pretty much all the young birds was taken. If I hadn't been home with a shotgun they would have been gone too. The dogs left out never to be seen again. I don't know if they went off and died but they didn't come back for the rest of my birds. Everything likes to eat chicken and here in Arkansas there are raccoons, opossums, fox, bobcat, bear, wild pigs, hawks, owls, and the dreaded dogs and cats. There are probably other critters too I didn't even mention. One time I even had someone (human) steal all my chickens off the perch one night.

I guess my point is you can have smart chickens that free-range but there are always going to be dangers like neighbors dogs or even people. That said I have started a new flock of sex-links, production reds, and cochin/brahma mix. I would love to have some more game chickens because they are great birds for eating bugs like ticks and for egg laying (when they aren't broody which is most of the spring and summer). Great mothers teaching chicks important life skills and protective.

I agree there are always going to be dangers when free ranging, and you need to accept the chance for losses. But life is full of danger, especially when you are so low on the food chain like a chicken us. I have also read countless threads of people who have their coop and run locked up "like fort Knox" loose all of their chickens to the stray dog, or other predators.
I guess my point is there are no guarantees, you just must take the chances you feel work for your flock.
I free range. I have lost a few birds, a dog, a hawk, my $%&% cats, and now currently I think a racoon. But I have managed to keep most of my birds alive and well. I also use several layers of protection, it seems to work well for my birds. Though I am down a layer, really need to find a new dog, my puppy has gotten old and is down to three legs, but she can still raise a ruckus.

Last edited:
I am really thinking about trying to get a good flock pup. Mine probably would have been if I had chicks when she was born but alas she was a year old before I got started on chickens again. I have to watch her like a hawk when I have her out. She also likes to run the countryside pestering the neighbors so I keep her on our porch and inside the house. I'm afraid she would be coyote chow anyway since they hate dogs and will draw dogs away and then the entire pack will set on them. I really would hate to lose my dog. A dog that could be penned up with the chickens at night would work though.

My flock is free range and very happy. My 3 Roos sound the alarm and my dog attacks. My birds start life out as cage birds and gradually learn to protect each other. I currently have 3 separate flocks.

1 consists of 19 hens and 3 Roos. They are all right at a year. They have total freedom from sun up to sun down. They have free choice feed and calcium available in and out of the coop.

2nd is my grow out group. They range from 3 months to 6 weeks. They have a huge coop/run setup and the 3 month Olds free range from late afternoon until bed. The babies watch the older group from the safety of a cage.

The 3rd group is my "goof troop" or "Broken Bird Barnyard " or whatever you want to call it. It has a roo with Crooked feet, he's 1 year old. A blind 3 year old hen. A duck with wry neck and a trio of mille de flure. Oh and a Dutch bunny.

I don't think @Beekissed is out of line at all in how HER homestead raises it's flock. I also don't think @rancher hicks is out of line with his method. However!!! Rancher STOP JUDGING EVERYONE!!! This is 2 threads in 1 month you have called people "bad flock owners " because they don't do it yourself way. Dude seriously get a life.

Ok I'm done with this. Back to grown up stuff.

I don't recall using the phrase "bad flock owners". You can't really say someone is "judging someone" unless you yourself are judging can you? I have a life. I've thought long and hard on how some folks keep chickens. I won't back down. I won't tolerate folks who practice poor husbandry. I don't expect everyone to understand.

The same folks who would be upset if a person got raided by the ASPCA for having too many cats or dogs. Or horse owners who neglect therm, don't seem to mind chicken folks who leave their chickens to be picked off by predators. I believe good husbandry means taking precautions to keep your animals safe. Be they cats, dogs, horses or chickens.

Judgmental? Yes and I make no apologies. Perhaps YOU should stop judging me!

I don't recall using the phrase "bad flock owners". You can't really say someone is "judging someone" unless you yourself are judging can you? I have a life. I've thought long and hard on how some folks keep chickens. I won't back down. I won't tolerate folks who practice poor husbandry. I don't expect everyone to understand.

The same folks who would be upset if a person got raided by the ASPCA for having too many cats or dogs. Or horse owners who neglect therm, don't seem to mind chicken folks who leave their chickens to be picked off by predators. I believe good husbandry means taking precautions to keep your animals safe. Be they cats, dogs, horses or chickens.

Judgmental? Yes and I make no apologies. Perhaps YOU should stop judging me!

I don't think because we free-range our birds we are setting them up to be picked off by predators. I've known more than one person who has had their coops broken into and chickens killed. In fact they lost more birds because they were penned up in a small area and couldn't or didn't know enough to get away from their attackers. I think everyone can agree that everything with the exception of ruminating animals like to eat chicken, ducks, geese, quail, rabbits, etc. Now children lets stop arguing over who is right and who is wrong because everyone has some great points. Lets all remember what our Mama's told us "If you can't say nothing nice...."

Michigan Loses ‘Right To Farm’ This Week: A Farewell To Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers

Thank you to all who condone poor animal husbandry. Rather sympathizing with those who write that due to poor practices they've lost animals. When you don't speak up you're endorsing such practices. If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, then don't. I hope you understand.

Here in Fayetteville, NY they'd thought pass a law to allow chickens as a means to control the Tick problem. I thought to write to the local paper in defense of Back Yard chickens. Due to the flack I've taken here and on other threads for being "judgmental" concerning improper husbandry practices, I've changed my mind. Rather to write against such a proposal.

P. Forman wrote a very good book on Backyard chickens called "City Chicks". I read it and others BEFORE getting chickens. I've met Ms. Forman and recommended her books numerous times.

G. Damerow, has written numerous books on Poultry Keeping. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Damerow but have read her books and article she's written in magazines such as Back Yard Poultry.

There are numerous Magazines for educating folks in keeping chickens.

There are numerous companies and family owned businesses that have worked to help us provide safe and healthy care of our chickens.

Yet it is those folks who refuse to practice simple basic Husbandry and Bio Security that are ruining it for those who do. Over the years on this forum there have been those who believe rats, maggots, flies, foxes, coyotes, mites and disease go hand in hand with keeping chickens. Yet the previous mentioned authors have worked to educate us that it is not so. That through proper and good husbandry practices these problems need not arise.

While I do not believe I have passed judgment on individuals themselves, calling them names, stating that they were bad people, I will always pass judgment on poor husbandry practices that spoil Back yard chicken keeping for the rest of us. I will always suggest a better way and work to direct them to the previously mentioned educational materials.

Sincerely,

Rancher Hicks

Quote: Yep. That's one reason I refuse to pen these birds....out here predators are an ever present fact and penning them is like sounding a dinner bell so they can all eat them in a confined space. It's like shooting fish in a barrel and the birds simply have no avenue of escape while in a coop and run.

If one cares to read the threads in the predator section, the majority of birds taken by predators have been taken from areas of confinement, even those who thought their coops were "Ft. Knox".

Here's an article I wrote on free ranging some time back: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging

One also has to weigh quality of life. A bird can't count the days, doesn't remember very much of past events nor can it anticipate the future beyond a possible meal...what they do not do is worry about getting killed all the time, just us humans have that capacity. They live in the now and if the now of every day is confined to a static area where their natural food supply is exhausted(nothing much worth scratching and pecking for), the soil is over compacted and out of balance~read unhealthy for any living thing except harmful microorganisms, they have no way of escaping a predator and they cannot escape behaviors of other flock members(constant stress), life is a pretty bleak prospect.

So, there are pros and cons of either method and there will always be those with strong feelings about their choices. Each to their own methods and gladly.

Let's roll on to more pleasant discussion?

Got good rain yesterday and the garden took a leap in growth. That always tickles me when the plants grow that fast overnight!

We need rain. I have been trying to keep up with watering but they really want a nice soaking rain.
I have a bunch of Mulberries, been trying to talk myself into/out of trying to make some wine this year.

Back
Top Bottom