Homesteaders

Working on my rustic arbor. Right now it's just wired together and I will add more cross bars. Any advice on how to make it last longer? I do have it set up on bricks so it's not directly on the ground. There are some grapes to come but not many. Considering it's just year three since I transplanted it I'm happy.

I make bamboo arbors for my beans. After three years of trial and error I have decided making a series of 'X's' out of the sticks instead of wiring them straight across in a line makes it sturdier across the top. Also an 'X' on each side will add strength to the sides.

We have harvested all the peas at my house, 3 heads of 45 day cabbage that was given to us from a neighbor because he ran out of room and was moving. Got alot of blueberries so far, ate all of them too.

Hit a couple of rough spots and am waiting on results, go back in on Monday. So if your a prayin' person pray for good health for me. Im praying it isn't what I think it is and everything comes back normal. On the upside Hubby stepped up and is giving me 100% support when I can't take the stress of the unknown and "what ifs." My foster dog has quit fighting with my bulldogge, so that is a huge stress reliever for me at the moment. And we removed the muzzle as a result of her whole personality change, she now greets people instead of growling and barking at them. Now if only we could get her to quit hiding her accidents in the house, that would be great.

We have harvested all the peas at my house, 3 heads of 45 day cabbage that was given to us from a neighbor because he ran out of room and was moving. Got alot of blueberries so far, ate all of them too.

Hit a couple of rough spots and am waiting on results, go back in on Monday. So if your a prayin' person pray for good health for me. Im praying it isn't what I think it is and everything comes back normal. On the upside Hubby stepped up and is giving me 100% support when I can't take the stress of the unknown and "what ifs." My foster dog has quit fighting with my bulldogge, so that is a huge stress reliever for me at the moment. And we removed the muzzle as a result of her whole personality change, she now greets people instead of growling and barking at them. Now if only we could get her to quit hiding her accidents in the house, that would be great.

Prayers

Hello all! I have a Garlic question. I planted my 1st batch ever of soft necks in last years garden, let them grow and then go dormant for the winter. this year they were 1st up in the garden and doing well until now. Most of them seem to be laying on their sides. I had read that I need to dig one up and check on it. I did this last night and the bulb is no bigger than a strawberry. As far as I can tell I have done everything I am supposed to regarding garlic. Used good amended soil, gave it early round of fish emulsion, water and weed regularly. They get a good deal of sun throughout the day, probably 8 -10 hours daily.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hello all! I have a Garlic question. I planted my 1st batch ever of soft necks in last years garden, let them grow and then go dormant for the winter. this year they were 1st up in the garden and doing well until now. Most of them seem to be laying on their sides. I had read that I need to dig one up and check on it. I did this last night and the bulb is no bigger than a strawberry. As far as I can tell I have done everything I am supposed to regarding garlic. Used good amended soil, gave it early round of fish emulsion, water and weed regularly. They get a good deal of sun throughout the day, probably 8 -10 hours daily.

I will be watching for answers I have struggled with both hard neck biennial and soft neck annual garlic. I'd love to know how to do it right. I have some heritage hard neck I'd like to plant this fall but I'm afraid I'll mess it up again after two years of mishaps, and waste it.

I will be watching for answers I have struggled with both hard neck biennial and soft neck annual garlic. I'd love to know how to do it right. I have some heritage hard neck I'd like to plant this fall but I'm afraid I'll mess it up again after two years of mishaps, and waste it.

I have good luck and use this web site's method http://awaytogarden.com/how-to-grow...win-their-classic-book-on-my-favorite-allium/
http://awaytogarden.com/the-tricky-matter-of-when-to-harvest-garlic/

I plant a month before frost and I am harvesting now.... the first year I planted in the spring and the next spring I had little bulbs then I read up on them and got a variety that likes my climate

Softneck garlic normally grows best in climates with hot summers and mild winters. ‘Nootka Rose’, ‘Viola Francese’, and ‘Inchelium Red’ are all softneck garlics, known for their productivity (some softneck types produce up to 40 cloves per bulb), for great traditional garlic flavor, and for their ability to keep for months.

My guess is the bulbs froze during the winter. While Soft neck doesn't produce scapes it does mature earlier than the Hard neck types. Perhaps you should have pulled them and then replanted the cloves later.

From what I've read most garlics while given different names come from the same lines.

I did plant soft neck one year and expected it to go brown at harvest time but it didn't seem to. Also since I water during the summer I found rotted bulbs. That was not the case with hardnecks.

Soft necks are popular because it has more cloves per bulb. Also there is no need to cut "scapes". Scapes are good sauteed with butter. Tastes like Asparagus.

I will ask did you mulch your garlic with hay/straw or leaves for the winter. Soft necks don't grow well beyond zone 5.

Here's a pic of mine from a previous year. The hay has settled some. it was to the top of the white fencing.

My suggestion is to plant some of both Soft neck and Hard. Mulch with hay/straw about 6" worth for the winter. In a wet year don't over water. Cut the scapes on the Hard so it doesn't go to seed. Save the larges cloves for planting in the fall. I have read that it's best to save and plant your own cloves as they become acclimated to your soil.

I always recommend planting a variety of types of plants so if one fails the other might not. "don't put all your eggs in one basket" that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I did overwinter with all of my leaf rakings, which was better than a foot thick. This was my 1st attempt at garlic, I will try again
Never give up, never surrender.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom