HOOSIERS Only - INDIANA - Ru1?

Quote:
libertychicken, shat breed(s) do you have? I have bbs Orpingtons just 13 miles south of Indianapolis. They hate the snow and won't leave the run, but the cold doesn't bother them. Even when it's 9* out, I don't even bother closing the pop doors. That would not be good for some breeds though. If it goes below zero, I'll close the pop doors, but no matter what, I won't add heat to the coop; they don't need it because they're well insulated and they roost of the 4-inch side of the 2x4, so they're able to sit on their feet to keep their toes warm.

I changed my mind on the pop door closing. I saw where the wind was going to be blowing along with 8* tonight, so I went out and closed the pop doors.

Hi I'm Debbie and I live in Valparaio on an acre and a half with my DH, 3 small dogs, a tortoise, 4 pigeons, 1 silkie/polish mix banty, 1 call duck, and 1 mandarin duck. My birds all live happily together in a 8'x8' refurbished playhouse with an attached 8'x8' fenced and roofed enclosure. We wrap the enclosure during the winter with clear pvc tarp. They have access to the enclosure 24/7 and I only close the pop door when weather gets into single digits. We use a lot of organic products and so periodically drive to Lebanon (Central Indiana Organics) to buy organic feed for my critters. My birds are allowed to free range in our fenced back yard only when I am home. They actually do not like the snow and prefer to stay in their enclosure on the sand. I recently lost my sweet little banty cochin. Not sure what from. Went to check on them one late afternoon after being gone and she was dead. I was pretty upset.
hit.gif
So I will be looking for another cochin pullet this spring. I would like to find a frizzle if anyone has any. I will also be looking for an OEG pullet or a D'uccle pullet. I would consider a little mix breed as I like them too. I am always happy to do a road trip and pick up. You can pm me or my email is ... [email protected].

Nice to meet all of you Indiana chicken folks and wish you all a SAFE, HAPPY, AND HEALTHY HOLIDAY!
frow.gif

Quote:
Sally, what worries me is that almost every year Indiana averages the same amount of precipitation. Considering how dry it was for four month, we might have one heck of a lot of snow this winter.

Hi!
frow.gif
I'm Crystal. My family (DH, DS) lives on a few acres in Floyd Co., IN. (Hope you make it over here Hiker!
smile.png
) Besides our golden and dane and three cats, I have a small flock of various breeds, from GLW to SF...no two the same; I love a mixed flock for the variety of looks and personalities
smile.png
. They're just pets; we give most of our eggs to family and friends, as we're not big egg eaters (with three molters and two youngsters, we haven't had to worry much about that lately though
hmm.png
).
I built a small 4 x 4 1/2 coop to sell as part of a summer project that overflowed into fall
roll.png
, but am thinking I'll keep it for myself and trying a few bantam chickens come spring. There are some really cute bantams out there! So I'll be looking then.

PS...I do warm my coop a bit when the temps turn bitter
hide.gif
; we got down to 5 here last night. I can't help it, I'd do the same for my cats or dogs in severe weather (although my dogs/cats enjoy the benefit of 70 degree house temps., as they are higher on the pet ranking than my girls)

Edited for brainfart.

Last edited:
I just had these little darlings hatch this morning. They are from a porcelian silkie roo, and a buff or porcelian hen. These are the first I've hatched since my accident in June. For a hatchaholic like me , its been a long wait !!

12879_picture_001jpg7.jpg

12879_porjan2010jpg1.jpg

This is dad
12879_youngporcelianroo.jpg

Moms
12879_buffhen2.jpg

12879_porcelian_hen.jpg

Oh wow....they are just toooo cute! I keep thinkin about getting one but I'm just not sure. I keep seeing how broody they are. I do have one silkie/polish cross and she almost never goes broody on me. I don't breed....just like em as pets with eggs.
big_smile.png

You have some beautiful silkies LAMom!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom