Horse people- need advice

nccatnip

Songster
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Piedmont area NC
After a 9 year lay off following back surgery and relocation, I am back looking for a horse. I have frequented the horse sale sites and put the word out locally but am asking you guys where you would look if in my position. I figured with the hay shortage, it should be relatively easy to find a dead broke, sound horse for trail riding. Where I lived previously I knew who not to buy from but here I know no one involved in horses. I guess I am feeling a bit vunerable and needing some advice. I have many years experience in horses but need to find that perfect fit. Oh yeah, and it sucks to have to start all over again- sold all my tack.
So do any of you guys have any recommendations?

If I were in your position I would hook up with a local barn that does good riding lessons. To some extent this will start you acquiring contacts who can suggest where to buy, and NOT buy, a horse... but more importantly it will get you back riding *before* you buy anything.

This would have two advantages: first, you need to see what your back (etc) feel like on a horse and whether you need to take that into account when choosing a horse, and second, peoples' skills change over time and you wanna have a realistic idea of how it is likely to go between you and a horse nowadays. By the way, by 'skills change over time' I do not necessarily mean you forget and get worse... sometimes after a long break from riding old bad habits disappear, or you discover you now have (for instance) more patience, or more interest in paying attention to what the horse is thinking, etcetera. But you want to spend some time finding out before you make any big purchases.

Also, if I were in your position, I would be cautious about trying to get a really great bargain... not that you can't get rooked paying 'full market price' but the unusually-bargain-priced horses make it even *more* likely
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

I too have had back surgery (so I feel for you) Until then I had quarter horses. After recovering, I was afraid to start riding again for fear that all the bouncing would hurt me. That was until a friend talked me into riding a gaited horse ( a Tennessee Waklking Horse) I was sold the moment i got her into a trot!!!! Smooth as silk, like riding in a Catalac!!!! I would recommend one to anyone with back problems. I have had Maggie for 3 years now and she is the love of my life!!!!! Good luck to you
PS. My favorite website for locating horses is horsetopia.com

My advice would be right around Pat's - get back into it in a lesson program, find one you like, and go from there. Contacts are golden in the horse world. Too, despite the market conditions, you get what you pay for. Good horses still demand good prices.

Gaited horses will probably be the way to go for you, too. Back surgery and trotting don't usually mix to well.

I know that with back problems that the Pasa Fino is Great for people that either need surgery or have had surgery as they dont have a hard trot or walk or gallop. They are very smooth and some think they walk funny but its the smoothest ride you will ever take. No jarring or pounding. Also riding lesson will help you refine your skills too and get you back in the swing of things. Some Walkers have a hard trot or lope and some dont. A friend of mine has a Pasa Fino and loves it because of her back. Might want to check it out. If you have Dish Network or Direct TV they have a program or RFD-TV about Pasa Fino's, also they are not a very tall horse either. Just a thought...

Guess I should have mentioned, no boarding/training/lesson facilities locally. No serious riding that I can find so far and horseman's club is restructuring so no meetings or rides anytime soon.
Thanks for all the great suggestions, have ridden since surgery and a nice quarterhorse type is good. Since that is what I am familiar with, that is what I based my search on but would not rule out the gaited breeds in the future.

Last edited:
I would suggest taking a few lessons just to get back in the saddle, but I agree with the Gaited horse thing. We don't own one, but one is boarded at our barn, and am amazed at how smooth he is to ride. The owner of the barn is now looking for one too now.
Go slow in deciding the right one will come. You are right though, it's a terrible market to sell a horse right now, so you may find a good deal. The top show people of course won't, but if all you are looking for is a trail horse, it shouldn't be difficult. There are so many sites out there to find horses. I'm sure you know all of them, but I have also found horses listed on Criagslist. Resue site are another option. Don't turn your nose at these places. There are many, many good horses that go to auction due to hay shortage, ill owners, etc. A little TLC and they can be as good as new.
I have a daughter who rides and I'm giong to start lessons to go on trails with her, but I'll be honest, I'm scared to death, I'm almost 40!

Steph

I know you are in NC, how far are you from Rougemont. I work at an excellent school barn, we've got an wonderful instructer who is also very good at finding horses for people (she helped me find my horse). Here is the website, feel free to pm or email me with any questions.

http://www.quailroostfarm.com/

You could start looking around at the various rescue organizations, although you may have to travel a substantial distance to try out and get the horse you eventually decide on.
The benefit of this (besides saving a horse
smile.png
), is that reputable rescues do a wonderful job of matching horses with new owners. I say "reputable", because there are a lot of rescues out there that do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom