Horse purchase help

We have walked away from the deal. Owner was insulted. My daughter will be sad. It was the right decision.
Smart decision. You and your daughter will be be happier in the long run with the right horse that you don't have to worry about health issues while jumping it.
Buying that mare most likely would have been a mistake.
Good luck finding the right horse for your daughter.

It WAS the right decision. When you find the right horse you will know, your daughter will know, everyone will feel sure and confident about it, and it will be unanimous. High-five to your trainer for being honest and observant. 11 year old girls love EVERY horse, been there! A horse is a living, breathing investment of time, money and emotion, best to make it as good a one as you can. There are lots of good horses out there, you will find the right one. Everything @Percheron chick said was spot on.

If you don’t feel confident about then you made the right choice. Not only do horses cost a lot but they also live a long time. I don’t think it would have been worth the risk of your daughter or the horse getting hurt. Best of luck next time finding a horse :)

Why should the owner feel insulted? If the horse wasn't right for you (and this one wasn't) then the horse wasn't right for you. Nothing personal about it. I have sold a lot of livestock in my day. I never felt insulted if a prospective buyer thought my animal wasn't for them and went somewhere else. In fact, more than once I have referred a buyer to another breeder.

We have walked away from the deal. Owner was insulted. My daughter will be sad. It was the right decision.

:old:thumbsup just think how sad she would be a couple of years from now after the horse became useless..
I don't think you are the type who would have unloaded this horse on someone else..
your daughter is young, she will get over it before she gets married..

Hard part was that the owner said I insulted her. That was never my intention. Just never felt like I could make a confident “yes” choice.
Her reaction speaks volumes. It's not about the horse and finding the best fit out there for her and family who buys her. It's about the bottom line. She needs to put on her big girl panties and not take it personally. She will not last in the industry and will do more damage than good.
Good luck on your quest finding a great first horse. He is out there and you will be rewarded for waiting.

It is not a good idea to get a 5 year old Arab for your 11 year old daughter, ESPECIALLY if its a first horse for all of you. Arabs are like Thoroughbred horses, their bodies are not full mature till 5 years of age. There are planty of good 10 - 15, or even older, more experienced horses, which would make a good mount. Arabs can go for YEARS. On an Endurance ride, years ago, I rode with an 82 year old women, for a while, her horse was 26 years old.

Probably better to get a gelding also. Sounds like you are listening to your gut also, that is a very good thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom