Houdans

How are Houdans looking these days? They were one breed I really fell in love with and regretted having to get rid of them when I had to get out of birds for a while. Now that I can look at getting started back and be a little more stable again, I'm curious if anyone's been working on them. Who's the go-to breeders these days that might have decent stock? What's Cackle's birds look like lately?

My new chickens

Beautiful! Where in Mississippi are you? I just moved back to Hernando.

Lol, well i have a lot different breeds, houdan , frizzle and naked neck i have hens and rooster, and minorcas, cochin, ee, leghorn, ancona, andalusian, modern game,cornish, lakendelver, egyptian, maran, orpington only hens

[QU
How are Houdans looking these days? They were one breed I really fell in love with and regretted having to get rid of them when I had to get out of birds for a while. Now that I can look at getting started back and be a little more stable again, I'm curious if anyone's been working on them. Who's the go-to breeders these days that might have decent stock? What's Cackle's birds look like lately?
Hello Its good to see you wanting to get back into Houdans again. There are more people starting to get into raising them again. As far as Cackles birds go they aren't too bad. Still have some hatchery type faults in them but are overall pretty good if you cull down to the very best ones. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster from Cackle line. I haven't hatched any chicks from them yet. I also have an old line that I don't know if anyone else has that I am trying to get the quality back up on and I also have some Duane Urch line birds that are quite nice. The birds that Maralpz2006 has pictured here are a pair that I sent him back in February from the Urch line birds.
Being you are in the same town as him maybe you could talk him into some chicks or at least some eggs ( if you have an incubator) from the pair he got from me. They are quite a good line and you will get some birds close to standard quality from them.

OTE="HaikuHeritageFarm, post: 19132808, member: 62504"]Beautiful! Where in Mississippi are you? I just moved back to Hernando.[/QUOTE]

Hello all,
I am aware of a small nexus of people working on Houdans currently. I won't give names. They are all in the MI or OH areas. I am one who is working with them a little on the side.
I know that hatching eggs are available on this site: https://www.facebook.com/BK-Farms-2804626606273864/
And I might have a few available, with some serious caveats about what's in the gene pool. I know that there has been commentary about Houdans being weak and unthifty. Mine are generally strong and healthy, but have some non-standard colors in the mix, and are undersized.

Back
Top Bottom