Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

What should you see when candling at Day 18? I want to give my broody some eggs that look viable and keep the rest in the incubator. Last time I looked some were just solid dark with an air cell at the end. These are light brown eggs.

I threw out 9 BBS Bantam AM's and 3 Lavender AMs. And also 5 BBS Orps, so that leaves me with: 10 BBS AM's and 15 Lavender AM's and 9 BBS Orps and 6 of my Buff Orp eggs. Plus 12 Olive Eggers, and 6 LF Am's in my Brinsea.
smile.png

Mrs. Mucket :

Tomorrow is lockdown in my Genesis 1588. Is this all I have to do?

Remove turner.
Lay eggs on mesh floor.
Fill all water troughs.
Then close lid till first chicks are dry?

And don't open the red vent button till the last chick has hatched?

Anything else?

This is wrong! You must open the vents (I never use the red vent plugs, ever) for the hatch (days 18 - 21). They NEED the oxygen! This is MOST important!​

I thought we wanted higher humidity for hatching!? I don't have a genesis incubator...what did you set it for ? For me on my Brinsea is should be 60 or 65.

I think if you open your incubator vent more...it will help....but not experienced to know. SOMEONE will help you soon I hope!
Ok...was WRONG on the vent. Forget what I said. I just checked...it said you had to close the vent more...not open it and for hatching you have to have it open for air. Sorry...just don't know.
Good luck Mrs. Mucket!

Last edited:
Mrs. Mucket :

HIGH HUMIDITY: I locked down in my 1588 last night and this morning the humidity is still at 86. Will that be a problem? Temp is 98.4.

With humidity too high you will get sticky chicks. They are so sticky they can't rotate around in the shell to zip. Personally, I prefer humidity no higher than 60-65* during lockdown or I get sticky chicks. 60 is best for me.​

I have a 1588 i set with 34 eggs on the 18th of March. All eggs are mixes. I had 12 from my dad's brown leghorns breed to a white wyandotte. The others are from mixed production flock. The rooster is a gorgeous orange barred fellow and the the hens are barred rock, black sex link, and a mixed dirty colored white hen. Unfortunately, my dad's rooster doesn't seem to be holding up his end of things anymore. I have a hen now out of him and the brown leghorn mom that is my favorite. she is not very big but is shaped like a wyandotte, colored like a very light version of the mom, and a very active little nut.

Of the other 20 eggs, 17 appear to be doing well, 3 were not fertile.

scott

Back
Top Bottom