Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

Mrs. Mucket :

Dividing Hovabator?
Does anyone divide the incubator in any way to keep track of which breed of chicks hatch? I sorted my eggs out but didn't realize the new chicks would play soccer and roll the eggs all around. For this next hatch I'm wondering about putting some kind of plastic or cardboard divider in there?

When I put my eggs into lockdown I didn't do much other than put all my Lavender AM's in one corner and my Orps in the middle and my BBS AM's in the other corner. I can tell them apart at hatch, so it doesn't matter too much.
smile.png

Mrs. Mucket :

Dividing Hovabator?
Does anyone divide the incubator in any way to keep track of which breed of chicks hatch? I sorted my eggs out but didn't realize the new chicks would play soccer and roll the eggs all around. For this next hatch I'm wondering about putting some kind of plastic or cardboard divider in there?

I haven't done it myself yet, but I have read that some people use that plastic craft needle punch stuff. I can't remember what it is called, but it has holes in it. Others use strawberry containers or even mesh bags.

Good luck!​

Quote:
I haven't done it myself yet, but I have read that some people use that plastic craft needle punch stuff. I can't remember what it is called, but it has holes in it. Others use strawberry containers or even mesh bags.

Good luck!

Oh great idea! Plastic canvas I call it--and I think I even have some. I have two "breedings" that look very similar as hatchlings but I want to keep track of which mama produced them. Thanks
smile.png

Well, Cindiloohoo couldn't send me pure Del eggs, so I am getting a dozen RIR x Del ("Rhodel") and Delaware. Not sure how many of each. The Rhodels are sexable at hatch! I am setting up another brooder, just for the ones I sex at hatch as cockerels. Will add to it as they grow, as I find out more.

Last edited:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

celebrate.gif
I have a pip in one of my Lavender eggs!!!
celebrate.gif
They aren't even due until tomorrow!
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

My Orpingtons are slow pokes!
caf.gif

Same here, 2 pips this morning but not due until tomorrow. Jumpy here too.​

Quote:
Same here, 2 pips this morning but not due until tomorrow. Jumpy here too.

Two LAvender AM's are out, 8 other lavenders are pipped, two of my orps pipped and one of my BBS Am is pipped.
pop.gif

Well, I thought for sure I lost this entire incubator full of eggs...when I candled at lockdown, I discovered that my turner had been unplugged for most of the incubation. I had to toss 13 eggs, and of the other 26, I saw NO movement, but I locked them down anyway, and one of them just hatched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and I got the pic thing figured out with my new phone...
big_smile.png
It's a bantam Faverolles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15879_040911204818.jpg

Quote:
Wow what a success story! At first I read it too fast and thought the incubator had been unplugged the whole time! How is that little baby?

I've got my second hatch in the Hovabator, due end of the month. Out of 10 eggs, I got two blood rings at 7 days. Hope the rest of them do okay. My first hatch (end of March) was disappointing, and I ended up with only two live chicks. They are healthy though, bopping around the brooder with four hatchery chicks.

Back
Top Bottom