How about a new thread for those of us in wheelchairs?

Quote: Are you able to handle an ATV? They have caterpillar track modification sets too. And work in pretty much any terrain, you can go 70kph in snow with one.
An ATV is good... if someone gave me one I would use it. For the terrain around here perfectly suited unmodified. I was kind of joking about the tank one...

What I really Need is a Gaitor. Problem is even used down to salvaged parts they go for around two thousand dollars. I want alot.... I can only afford about 500. I will go for what I can get on Craigslist initially. Most likely a used golf cart. The nice part about a scooter is I wouldnt have to modify gates at my place... I am torn.

I hope to build something using motorcycle wheels and a bent tubing chassis. Working on some sketches. but you know how that goes... I get immersed in the process... sigh.

deb
You got any designs with caterpillar tracks? With one motor you'd need a complicated diff and gearbox system, but working with electric motors the steering would be easy to do. And you'd get great traction and terrain abilities.

The punks, er I mean darlings, roar up and down the public streets for hours on their ATV's despite, being written up by the police for driving on public roads.

The newspaper said ATV's are great off- road but, very unstable on paved surfaces. Doesn't make sense to me but, then I am only a pedestrian.

The punks, er I mean darlings, roar up and down the public streets for hours on their ATV's despite, being written up by the police for driving on public roads.

The newspaper said ATV's are great off- road but, very unstable on paved surfaces. Doesn't make sense to me but, then I am only a pedestrian.

Yeh... They cross through my property which has an easement through it. I heard them come up my driveway As if they were going some place... Driveway dead ends at my house.... I waived them down. One I recognized the rest all stared at me with deer in the headlights expression...

"Hi" I said in a friendly voice... "those look like fun."
The one i recognized (they were all about sixteen ish) said "Hi..."

I continued..."You know most people dont like strangers riding around on their property around here. Youd best keep to the road down below...."

"Yes Mam" the oldest boy answered. They turned around and I never saw them again. I suspect was the girls brother. Their dad is a Correctional officer at one of the prisons near Mexico.... LOL. We share a property line... Nice man but I betcha the fear of God ran through their minds.

Edited to add the nearest pavement up there is at my mailbox on the highway.

deb

Last edited:
Quote:
Same goes for just plain old wheels. I prefer electric over fuel. But If I have to go fuel I would prefer a small diesel. even a hit an miss engine with a flywheel would work. Kind of sound like Chity Chity Bang Bang.... LOL

My designs right now are for horse drawn vehicles I was toying with the idea of converting one of those designs for a mobility vehicle. I live in Dune buggy Central so there are tube manufacturers all over the place that might do a prototype for me. Worst case scenario I could just get a stout pony for my wheels.... LOL

deb

An ATV is good...  if someone gave me one I would use it.  For the terrain around here perfectly suited unmodified.  I was kind of joking about the tank one... 

What I really Need is a Gaitor.  Problem is even used down to salvaged parts they go for around two thousand dollars.  I want alot.... I can only afford about 500.  I will go for what I can get on Craigslist initially.  Most likely a used golf cart.  The nice part about a scooter is I wouldnt have to modify gates at my place...  I am torn.

I hope to build something using motorcycle wheels and a bent tubing chassis.  Working on some sketches.  but you know how that goes... I get immersed in the process... sigh.

deb

You got any designs with caterpillar tracks? With one motor you'd need a complicated diff and gearbox system, but working with electric motors the steering would be easy to do. And you'd get great traction and terrain abilities.

Same goes for just plain old wheels.  I prefer electric over fuel.  But If I have to go fuel I would prefer a small diesel. even a hit an miss engine with a flywheel would work.  Kind of sound like Chity Chity Bang Bang.... LOL

My designs right now are for horse drawn vehicles I was toying with the idea of converting one of those designs for a mobility vehicle.  I live in Dune buggy Central so there are tube manufacturers all over the place that might do a prototype for me.   Worst case scenario I could just get a stout pony for my wheels.... LOL 

deb

Go diesel-electric instead, like a freighter. Would actually be sort of cool.

I just found out a couple weeks ago, that there are new all-terrain scooters with 9" wheels and very aggressive tread, as well as quick on and off "cab" ....if they came with a snowblower I would be set!

Lady Cedar - sounds like they would really be "hot wheels."
yesss.gif

wow! what a shame this thread has went quiet just when I need it! Most on here already know, but for those who don't, I broke my ankle in two places and literally shattered my tibia(?) the small bone in the leg into several pieces a couple weeks ago. It's been rather difficult because of course it was my good leg (the other one is my very bad knee that I should have had the 2nd surgery on years ago but kept putting it off because I could walk ok with my good leg
roll.png
). I'm not allowed to put weight on it yet of course so relying on my bum knee to get up and down has been a real treat.

The thing that concerns me is it doesn't appear that the bum knee is going to hold up long enough to get me back up again so I am probably going to need a vehicle to get me thru the winter. Anyone have any ideas on what might work to get me thru the snow? Hubby and his friend just finished a very nice ramp so I can get out the house but we are VERY rural so we have no sidewalk or even a paved driveway. When I am able to be vertical again I will still probably need a walker (I hate the thought) because the neuropathy is beginning to really mess with my balance.

Any thoughts or suggestions or especially what any of you have dealt with and how you managed would so very much be appreciated.
hugs.gif

Vicki

wow! what a shame this thread has went quiet just when I need it! Most on here already know, but for those who don't, I broke my ankle in two places and literally shattered my tibia(?) the small bone in the leg into several pieces a couple weeks ago. It's been rather difficult because of course it was my good leg (the other one is my very bad knee that I should have had the 2nd surgery on years ago but kept putting it off because I could walk ok with my good leg
roll.png
). I'm not allowed to put weight on it yet of course so relying on my bum knee to get up and down has been a real treat.

The thing that concerns me is it doesn't appear that the bum knee is going to hold up long enough to get me back up again so I am probably going to need a vehicle to get me thru the winter. Anyone have any ideas on what might work to get me thru the snow? Hubby and his friend just finished a very nice ramp so I can get out the house but we are VERY rural so we have no sidewalk or even a paved driveway. When I am able to be vertical again I will still probably need a walker (I hate the thought) because the neuropathy is beginning to really mess with my balance.

Any thoughts or suggestions or especially what any of you have dealt with and how you managed would so very much be appreciated.
hugs.gif

Vicki

I dont live where it snows but I get about with a Rolling Walker.... or a Rollator. I can walk short distances but if I need to be out and about I depend on this to give me a steady place to lean on and a place to sit WHEN I get Winded. I am considering getting a good sized riding lawn mower.... Right now Used ones with the horse power I need are running about 1000 on Craigslist. I need alot of oomph because my land is rolling and changes elevation quite a bit. My well is 1000 feet from the house and I have to go out there occasionally. So I am looking at John Deere riding lawn mowers.

If I had the money I would get a Gator.... Its about the size of a golf cart but much more useful for me to get about on 18 acres of Desert Chaparal. They also come in Diesel....
droolin.gif
... The nice part about getting something like that is you can bring a friend along....

The other thing I was considering is getting a used golf cart. Be aware though those take four to six batteries and each battery can cost close to 200 dollars to replace. BUT they only need one foot to drive... And there is a built in spot in the back for carrying stuff like Clubs... so feed can be loaded up... or kids what ever you need.

Golf carts also come with gas engines and automatic transmissions.

What ever you get make sure it has reverse.... some dont especially used

Also you can make a decent walkway out of pallets just fill in the spaces with more pallet boards. I have a boat load of them waiting for me to cover them with plywood.... (feed room area)

Dont be ashamed to have chairs set about the area so you can rest... I have several ranging from Actual chairs to just bales of straw.... they are cheap.

Also there are handicap scooters out there with large wheels designed for "off road" travel.... Pick one up used and you will get your money back when you dont need it any more.

deb

Back
Top Bottom