How can I tame a mean rooster?

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
I have a mean little Dutch bantam rooster.
ya.gif
Whenever he sees me, he flys up and pecks me.
he.gif
I do not want to give him away because he has been through so much with me, yet I hate it when he attacks me.
barnie.gif

so, how can I tame him? Hes made it so hard for me that I put out food and water to last a week, and I watch them play from the window.
idunno.gif

have any of you managed to tame your meanie roos?
fl.gif
please help, hes a cute boy and I would hate to give him up or lock him in a cage.
D.gif

16538_bassy.jpg

oooh btw: hes my avatar <<<

Last edited:
Hi! What you could do is, when you enter the coop, head straight for him, grab him up and tuck him under your arm. Do your chores and observe your chickens with him under your arm like that for several days. Then see if he goes after you as soon as he sees you. You have to establish your dominance. Little chickens sometimes think they're very BIG chickens!

He will probably back down after this, but if he doesn't, then here's what you do.....when he flies at you, grab him and hang him upside down by his feet. Do this a few times, and he should quit.

Good luck to you! If you try these things consistently, he should begin to behave, and he may relapse every now and then, and you just give him a little reminder.

Sincerely,
Sharon

i know its hard to tame a aggressive male. I have a drake that does the same thing. I don't want to hurt him either because i am a vegetarian also.

Hi. I had a sweet silkie roo that turned into the roo from hell. So I went in the pen for about 15 minutes twice a day for a week. I kept walking toward him, making him move, move move, if he stopped, I nudged him with my foot and kept him moving. Then he would go for a drink. I blocked him. He went for the food. I blocked him. He went to jump on a hen. I blocked him. So he just stood there and stared at me, not knowing what I wanted him to do. After a week of that, he would step away from me when I went in the pen, and eventually he became my best buddy again. He died before Christmas, and I cried my eyes out. Since the behavior training, he was my huggable snuggly rooster.

My neighbor has a huge barred rock roo. My neighbor wanted me to clip his spurs. I went over there and he came at me. I went after him, walking, etc etc. Then picked him up and trimmed his spurs. The next day I went back to powder him for lice. Same thing. Then I picked him up and powdered him.

Bottom line, you have to make darn sure that the roo sees you as the alpha roo, YOU can make him move, stop, not touch the water, not touch the food till you say okay. Never back away from him, never be afraid. You are the boss and you don't even have to be mean about it. There's a pecking order, and you are number one, top dog.

Back
Top Bottom