How can I tame a mean rooster?

you can try the things that some peopel have mentioned, try picking him up (if you can get near enough) carrying him around (if he doesnt rip your arms and face to bits) or any of the other things...sometimes it works, you just have to show him whose boss...because right now he thinks HE is and you are just in his almighty way.
ive had nice roos that were very nice, and mean rooos, that you just have to show whose boss, and then we tolerate each other....... and then some times ....you get a roo sent from satan on a mission to destroy you. you cant do anything to help it, he will not change, if you have children he will tear them to bits and he will hate you with a passion. some roos , like some people, are just plain mean. and the only good thing that can come out of a roo like that is sunday dinner.

Luckily for me, after I modified the behavior of my silkie roo, he was fine with my 6 and 8 year old grandkids. I watched him and he was very nice and friendly. Go figure.

This may sound inhumane but it’s just like a kid, needs a good spanking. Whenever you come in and it tries to peck you, show it who’s boss. You don’t have to kill it just discipline it

I really appreciate all this advice after an especially trying day with my rooster. Some of you say the stew pot is the best rememdy and others have been able to amend bad behavior. I appreciate both suggestions. One thing I don't understand though is why it matters if the rooster knows I'm upset with him. If he attacks and spurs me I will be quite upset. I love him protecting the ladies from hawks and whatnot but I'm the one who feeds him and allows him to live here so as I see it he has no business attacking me and I'm going to let him know in no uncertain terms that he is not the boss of me. So can any of you tell me any benefit to not returning aggression? If I'm the alpha why wouldn't I return aggression? Thanks, Stephan--the boss of Foghorn Leghorn.

you can try  the things that some peopel have mentioned, try picking him up (if you can get near enough) carrying him around (if he doesnt rip your arms and face to bits) or any of the other things...sometimes it works, you just have to show him whose boss...because right now he thinks HE is and you are just in his almighty way.

ive had nice roos that were very nice, and mean rooos, that you just have to show whose boss, and then we tolerate each other....... and then some times ....you get a roo sent from satan on a mission to destroy you. you cant do anything to help it, he will not change, if you have children he will tear them to bits and he will hate you with a passion. some roos , like some people, are just plain mean.  and the only good thing that can come out of a roo like that is sunday dinner.

I have the red bantam rooster from hell his first year with me no problems great friends now two years old he goes for me every chance he gets and no i can not catch him to try any of those ideas out without getting torn up. he is the only rooster I have dont know if thats the problem but I am taking my Rooster(husband) out tonight going to have him catch for me and going to try holding by feet hisbamd doesnt mind being pecked I am. woosie bottom line and dont like being made to bleed or big bulging knots on my shins so if this doesnt work anybody in Oklahoma want a pretty red poofy rooster ? p.s. he would be free

chefthechef I would do exactly what you said. Show him on no uncertain term you are the boss. I carry a small stick with me into one of the coop as the rooster has attack me before. I took the stick and he start towards me I smack him with it. He now moves out of my way and respects me as head rooster. Some roosters it may take a couple of times.

Some roosters are too stupid to figure it out, and these are the jerks that need that sharp knife. What's sensible about attacking the giant (human) that brings food every day? If he can't figure out that you are NOT a chicken, and bring food, and generally are a positive in the life of the flock; also, while he's stalking and attacking you, he's not watching out for hawks and other real risks. Dumb!!! He's dangerous, and not deserving to sire offspring. If he learns to respect you, that won't translate into politeness to other humans, especially children. Bad news! A cockrel or cock who tries you out once or twice, and then reforms, may be fine, but so many others are just not going to be fine. Mary

As I am reading through this thread, it reminds me that I am in no means an expert on Rooster behavior. I am a first time BYC owner this year and have a very young flock to include 1 SL Wyandotte Roo and one Silkie Bantam Roo. I also think I'm sort of unique in that I am very interactive with my flock. I raised them all from 1 day chicks and have a great bond with all. With that being said, I often do sit with the flock, (in the grassy area of my yard) and hand feed all. Even my two roos. I don't touch during feeding as I want them to feel secure, safe, and able to eat in peace. I wait until bedtime to handle my flock. I read on here in a thread that bedtime usually the flock is sleepy and less likely to put up a fuss about handling. I often have a hen perched on my arm, hands, or even on shoulders if they feel like getting up high. My schedule for my roosters (also gained from threads here) are to handle each of them daily. I read on here somewhere that handling the Roosters daily, just carrying them around, and flipping upside down and holding them like an infant were good practices to start early. They've both worked well for me (so far). My Wyandotte seems a little higher strung than my Silkie and he's quite nice when I handle him on his own. I would bet $$ it has to do with me isolating him from his girls. I don't interfere with his management of the flock so we don't have a dueling purpose relationship. Again, not a rocket scientist or an expert by any means....I just found that the threads here are fantastic, and the advice has been solid. I like many, would never consider my Roo's for the pot as I never did intend on having chickens for dual purpose. I am strictly an egg/insect and of course just entertainment, chicken enthusiast. I hope this helps someone else out there struggling with the Rooster relationship. I'm going to keep handling mine and looking into spur management.

Nice roosters are wonderful and add to the flock in so many ways. It's just that some of them don't turn out well, no matter how they are raised. Some breeds and family lines produce a higher % of idiots than others. I've had cockrels that started attacking at eight weeks of age! Nothing fixes that. I've also had cocks who became dangerous as yearlings, and had to go. I hope you all have nothing but wonderful experiences with your boys, just saying that a human aggressive cock is a genetic issue, and trimming spurs isn't really a fix. Mary

Back
Top Bottom