We spent days putting plastic around the runs (no worries, we left plenty of ventilation), and other things getting the chickens ready for the plummeting temperatures and brutal winds. Last night, we changed our minds. We live on 6-acres and have a cabin that is mostly finished (does have heat) on the other side of the property. We decided our plastic would not hold up in these winds. Also, the rain we were not suppose to have was misting. All combined a recipe for a possible bad situation. We taped plastic to the floor and then covered with pine shavings. Brought the water, food, nesting boxes, grit, electronic thermostats, cameras and then 9 hens and 2 roosters two by two in laundry baskets covered with towels, over to the cabin for the next 4-days. It took us 3-hours. We are not going to be extreme, keeping the temps in the 50’s for easier transition back to home. We made roosts with roosting bars using clamps between two ladders.
I can picture myself doing the same. No price tag on piece of mind, huh?

We just have to hang in there till for one more day. That’s what I’m telling myself. I just don’t know how to keep them entertained :/
Take a very small amount of scratch and wrap them up in individual newspaper pieces! Keeps my gals entertained for awhile. Even throwing a handful of straw or hay or whatever keeps them fluffy butts swingin' with vigor all winter long! 🤣🐓❤️

Take a very small amount of scratch and wrap them up in individual newspaper pieces! Keeps my gals entertained for awhile. Even throwing a handful of straw or hay or whatever keeps them fluffy butts swingin' with vigor all winter long! 🤣🐓❤️
The newspaper is a great idea! Thanks!!! Todays windchill has been super cold so I’ve been utilizing the straw trick. Works every single time. They’re like dogs haha

-27 and 50 mph winds a month ago…. One came out that day and she would not let me put her away.

Attachments

• D906CD2D-2DAA-46BB-AAFD-65F25C18AED7.png
    D906CD2D-2DAA-46BB-AAFD-65F25C18AED7.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 8
The newspaper is a great idea! Thanks!!! Todays windchill has been super cold so I’ve been utilizing the straw trick. Works every single time. They’re like dogs ha
Today was cold enough here in CT that the girls didnt want to leave their run! It was the wind chill on top of it. -8 with the wind. Soooo, I took a sled, placed it in run and filled it with some coco coir, and a tray of some pea sprouts I planted indoors last week, threw it all in the sled and added some hemp bedding a a bit of scratch and meal worms and watched the chickens go at it with vigor! I also gave them a bit of scrambled egg and tuna today as well. (probably too much), but i get all worked up if they are cold. I'll see the effects tomorrow morning with their droppings. Its supposed to be even colder -14 tomorrow. its that darn wind! Gets everyones feathers ruffled. Especially mine whilst trying to keep theirs in place, lol.

The newspaper is a great idea! Thanks!!! Todays windchill has been super cold so I’ve been utilizing the straw trick. Works every single time. They’re like dogs haha
adding some hot water to feed with some added oatmeal and some flax seeds might perk them up a bit too ;) Just gotta make sure they eat it or it will freeze quick. They do!

Back
Top Bottom