how do I edit an older post?

I do the maine swap thread, what I did was make a new thread for august-dec 2012 and put a link in the old thread. I asked the mods to close the old thread. I figure it should be good for hopefully the end of the yr.

Bummer. Is there anyway around this? The only reason I ask is we use the edit feature to keep our Swap thread updated with the latest page to find info and stuff. It really doesn't do us much good to have it at the end of the thread. We like to keep the first post updated for everyone new finding the thread. I can PM you the information but it will get very crazy - updated weekly and finally daily here pretty soon. What do you think? Can you let me know?

but this only works when for a certain number of days. with the new change, after so much time you can no longer edit the first post, including the title unless you contact a mod. I see me having to make lots of additional threads for each swap that I manage, that's not going to fun.

editting thread, how long do I have?
once I post something, how long do I have before I can no longer edit the post? I ask, because i run a number of swaps and want to have just one page for each swap but edit the date for the upcoming swap on the first page. how long do I have before I can no longer change that first post to reflect the current swap date?

once I post something, how long do I have before I can no longer edit the post? I ask, because i run a number of swaps and want to have just one page for each swap but edit the date for the upcoming swap on the first page. how long do I have before I can no longer change that first post to reflect the current swap date?
I'd like to know this also.

I'm still waiting for a reply from a moderator.....I really need to know this. We have been using BYC for our swaps for years now but I'm not sure how much longer we will be able to do that if I can't edit my original post in the threads. It just won't work for us. We have such a following and the main comment we always here is how well organized the information is for everyone to find. That seems to be an issue now....

I'm still waiting for a reply from a moderator.....I really need to know this. We have been using BYC for our swaps for years now but I'm not sure how much longer we will be able to do that if I can't edit my original post in the threads. It just won't work for us. We have such a following and the main comment we always here is how well organized the information is for everyone to find. That seems to be an issue now....
Same with the California thread. It's a huge post, but goes up and down, depending on information. I was so excited sbout being able to offer all if this and now it's just up in smoke. The link is in my post above if you want to take a look at what I have. You'll why I too need to update. Just seems like there would be way too many threads we didn't need out there and less cleanup when they remove old threads, plus less chance of losing everything.

So we CAN add new member, update show dates and breed information and the other things we have and a mod can change them for us? I just need to know if I'm correct. I'd hate to send a bunch of info and have someone wonder what the heck to do with it and it not get done. I appreciate your help. Just keep in mind that I'm old and change scares the heck out of me. LOL I just want the best info I can get on there and have other things removed. If you look at that first post, would I just want to copy and paste it somewhere, make changes and email it for changes? Also, how long would it take until the changes are available?

We definitely appreciate the comments and thoughts. We realize that this is a hard change and can be frustrating, especially for long / old threads where the users are use to editing the first post of a thread.

These edit limits have actually been in place since the beginning, but a bug in the system prohibited them from working properly. The bug was discovered and when the engineers fixed it the system started working and limited edits. As the settings are right now, regular members can edit posts for 15 days and GFMs / PPMs can edit for 60 days (the thought is that GFMs & PPMs have had fewer problems with deleted / edited posts that have caused messes with the forum). These number may get longer or shorter depending on how things go.

There is a bit of adjustment that will need to be made for the older threads, but the ability to use an article to manage all the content that use to be managed in the first post of a thread is actually not bad once you get use to it... in fact you may find that over time the pros will outweigh the cons.

If you have an old thread where you can't edit your first post, we suggest the following:

1. Copy the contents of the first post into a new article
  2. If you want, give others access to the article so they can help you update it. If they make a change you didn't want, you'll be able to revert back to / restore the article before the changes... you have full control over the article you created
  3. Write up some text with a link to your article that can be posted in the first post and send it to a staff member with a link to the post to edit. We'll swap out the old text with the new information and link to the page / article that you'll be managing

Back
Top Bottom