How do Muscovies fare with hot summers?

muscovymaness

Hatching
May 7, 2016
As in really hot! We are in Dubai, UAE and temps will soon be hitting between 45 and 50 degrees celcius on a regular basis. We acquired our flock accidentally back in October (they literally fell off the back of a lorry! Probably on the way to slaughter I imagine - we are situated in a little oasis farming area on the edge of the desert/city) so this we be our first summer with them. They are happily living (and breeding) at the stables where I keep my horse and I am the self appointed duck lady. They are completely free ranging with no access to a coop or indoors. They have chosen a shady spot next to the feed room as their main base and they are fed and watered in this area and their pool is there too. They seem like a fairly hardy breed, will the summer be a problem for them do you think?

As long as they have access to shade and good drinking water they do very well, since they are from South America/Central America they are natural to tropical climates. They should be fine.

Last edited:
Ah of course! Completely forgot they are from a warmer climate... and I've read it so many times as I've searched the Internet! Thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom