Which breed for a new roo?

Thanks, but I guess I should have updated this thread 2 days ago, as we actually just got a new roo. A neighbor posted in a local FB group that they had 2 extras that they needed to re-home, so I said that so long as they didn't exhibit any anti-human aggression that I'd be happy to take one. I went over and, after meeting both, determined that either appeared to be acceptable candidates so I went with one based entirely on yard-art appeal. What she didn't mention was that they were both bantams of some sort, but that wasn't a disqualifier for me so...we have a new bird. Here's the thread where I introduced him:

Meet the new roo
Very handsome man! Glad you were able to find a good one.

Actually, for all viewers of this thread, that is one of the worst ideas in BYC history! Game clocks are very aggressive with people and a bad choice.
I am not sure where you are hearing this from? Do you own any games? I can tell you from personal experience and from talking with lots of Gamefowl owners, that they are some of if not the best birds out there. Not a man fighting bone in their body.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but looking at the names of all the others I couldn't find one that sounded more appropriate, so....

I'm looking to replace the hyper-aggressive rooster that I just recently had to cull and thought I'd reach out for suggestions/opinions/critiques/jokes/whatever with regard to breeds, selection criteria, raising techniques, etc. Here are the details:

1. I have a small flock of 8 laying hens (2 BOs, 2 RIRs, 1 SLW, 1 WL, 1 EE and 1 BOxWL cross), with no plans for expansion beyond maybe adding 1 or 2 (at the most) at some point. And if I do so via eggs fertilized by the new guy I'm not particularly concerned with optimal genetics, so long as the result is likely to be something that's likely to be healthy and of at least average laying productivity (assuming female offspring, of course). I'm perfectly fine with mutts.

2. My reasons for wanting another rooster are:
  • Protection for the hens
  • We actually like the occasional bit of crowing, as do our neighbors (believe it or not)
3. While I want a protective bird, I also need to minimize the likelihood of another one that ends up being aggressive towards people (for multiple reasons)...especially people he is around all the time and should be used to. I realize that this can't be predicted on an individual basis, so I'm just talking about tendencies at the breed level.

4. I live in N. Central Texas (Ft. Worth area) where summers are long and hot, and winters can be surprisingly extreme given the latitude (this past winter was rather prolonged, and we had multiple days of temps below 20°F...which is not common, but does happen on occasion).

5. The flock is locked up at night in a pair of small coops that are both open to a completely enclosed chain-link fence run, but free ranges in the back yard (~10,000 sq ft) all day.

6. My plan is to acquire a bird as young as possible (but old enough to be reliably sexed, of course) so that it grows up with the flock and us, in the hopes that this results in a rooster that is used to and at ease with people. If this thinking is flawed, I'd appreciate feedback on it.

7. While I'm not particularly concerned about aesthetics, my wife would like it if I got a "pretty rooster", with that being defined as something close to the stereotypical brightly colored plumage so common in artistic depictions of farm animals, like this one:View attachment 3219340

If you've made it this far...I understand that some of these criteria might be at odds with one another to some degree, and that there likely will be some compromising/balancing between them required. So...what say ye?
My Barred Rock rooster is really sweet and so is my OEGB Silver Duckwing. The bantam wouldn't be the best guardian due to size but the standard sized version should be similar I think. Silver Duckwings males and females look non-alike so their is no mixing up with them.

I can tell you from personal experience and from talking with lots of Gamefowl owners, that they are some of if not the best birds out there. Not a man fighting bone in their body.

Those little OEGB boys are so mild-mannered to people that one of our local feed stores has one roaming the store as a mascot.

That's too funny!

Here's an old thread I made about him:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-farm-store-has-a-new-employee.1468503/

0517211054a-jpg.2674997

I’d like to input that a bird’s temperament is just something they each develop somehow. I got silkies cause they’re said to be the sweetest little things. The male would chase me down and try hooking my legs with his spurs. But when I held him on the car ride for rehoming he was mellow compared to another male I did the same with. I guess he was just territorial of my entire backyard because he had girls to be around.

I’ve heard good things about black maran males, if anything!

Back
Top Bottom