Which breed for a new roo?

OEGB are not close to games. When OEGB were created they just used regular bantams, no game blood ever went into them. Real games are great with people and *bad* with other roosters and birds of prey.

The Australorp roosters are excellent for temperament and are covered in black feathers that shine with a green sheen. They're not as colorful as an Easter egger roo, but they carry genes that produce hens that lay often and lay consistent large brown eggs.

They also come in blue like my avatar.

Not in the bright reds and golds though.

Our English Orpington roo is the sweetest chicken I have ever met, hands down.

Ameraucana (real ones) are very predator savvy, agile birds.
Standoffish with people, but not aggressive (in our experience).

Salmon Faverolles have also made nice roos for us before. Nothing mean in them.

Our worst results came from Speckled Sussex, which have such sweet hens it's weird the boys are so cranky.

If you don't want to risk aggression any more than necessary, I would avoid mixed breed and instead go with a pure breed where the typical traits are known and fairly consistent.
You might look around at local breeders and see if they have a roo over 1 year old who's proven himself respectful of humans and would otherwise be culled to make way for the next stage of their breeding program.
I got some nice Am hens for a great price by reaching out to a breeder like that.

If you want a Cock bird to protect your flock DO NOT get an OEGB. I had 4, last summer, I heard a bird screaming in the middle of the night, ran outside, only to find a possum trying to eat one of my hens and the OEGBs hiding in the corners of the cage like perfect cowards. (I had to treat my hen for 3 months for her to heal. She is doing fine and back with the flock now).
I have had French Marans Cocks who were gentle with people and very protective with their flock.
I also understand Asil Cocks are very aggressive when protecting their flocks and gentle with people. Although I understand they are aggressive with other male birds at a very early age, like 3 months old and are extremely expensive, but will take on larger prey animals and birds to protect their flock.
Good luck with finding the right breed for your needs, I will be interested to hear what you pick

I have two roosters, a Light Sussex who is very non aggressive, so much so that I would totally trust him with children, but because of this is also not the best at protective his hens.
The second one is his son, and his mother is a Cuckoo Orpington. He is excellent in all ways with me, but I wouldn't leave him with young children unattended.

Get a game cock, they are super pretty and are are far less likely to get aggressive with people.
Actually, for all viewers of this thread, that is one of the worst ideas in BYC history! Game clocks are very aggressive with people and a bad choice.

Actually, for all viewers of this thread, that is one of the worst ideas in BYC history! Game clocks are very aggressive with people and a bad choice.
This is not true. Most gamefowl that I've met or heard about are very good birds. They are usually only aggressive to other chickens (roosters in particular). Some might not be aggressive to other birds at all. Having a good bred rooster, raising the cock right, and having a healthy hen to rooster ratio can greatly influence how aggressive your rooster will be as an adult.

@DParker75089, if you are still looking for rooster breeds, Welsummer, Phoenix, Brown (partridge) Leghorn, Easter Eggers, and Golden Laced Wyandotte all have that classic rooster painting look. These breeds are generally friendly, but it is important to note that all birds are individuals, so personality can stray from the general breed profile. I hope you can find what you are looking for!

This is not true. Most gamefowl that I've met or heard about are very good birds. They are usually only aggressive to other chickens (roosters in particular). Some might not be aggressive to other birds at all. Having a good bred rooster, raising the cock right, and having a healthy hen to rooster ratio can greatly influence how aggressive your rooster will be as an adult.

@DParker75089, if you are still looking for rooster breeds, Welsummer, Phoenix, Brown (partridge) Leghorn, Easter Eggers, and Golden Laced Wyandotte all have that classic rooster painting look. These breeds are generally friendly, but it is important to note that all birds are individuals, so personality can stray from the general breed profile. I hope you can find what you are looking for!
Thanks, but I guess I should have updated this thread 2 days ago, as we actually just got a new roo. A neighbor posted in a local FB group that they had 2 extras that they needed to re-home, so I said that so long as they didn't exhibit any anti-human aggression that I'd be happy to take one. I went over and, after meeting both, determined that either appeared to be acceptable candidates so I went with one based entirely on yard-art appeal. What she didn't mention was that they were both bantams of some sort, but that wasn't a disqualifier for me so...we have a new bird. Here's the thread where I introduced him:

Meet the new roo

Back
Top Bottom