Which breed for a new roo?

DParker75089

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
D/FW Texas
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but looking at the names of all the others I couldn't find one that sounded more appropriate, so....

I'm looking to replace the hyper-aggressive rooster that I just recently had to cull and thought I'd reach out for suggestions/opinions/critiques/jokes/whatever with regard to breeds, selection criteria, raising techniques, etc. Here are the details:

1. I have a small flock of 8 laying hens (2 BOs, 2 RIRs, 1 SLW, 1 WL, 1 EE and 1 BOxWL cross), with no plans for expansion beyond maybe adding 1 or 2 (at the most) at some point. And if I do so via eggs fertilized by the new guy I'm not particularly concerned with optimal genetics, so long as the result is likely to be something that's likely to be healthy and of at least average laying productivity (assuming female offspring, of course). I'm perfectly fine with mutts.

2. My reasons for wanting another rooster are:
  • Protection for the hens
  • We actually like the occasional bit of crowing, as do our neighbors (believe it or not)
3. While I want a protective bird, I also need to minimize the likelihood of another one that ends up being aggressive towards people (for multiple reasons)...especially people he is around all the time and should be used to. I realize that this can't be predicted on an individual basis, so I'm just talking about tendencies at the breed level.

4. I live in N. Central Texas (Ft. Worth area) where summers are long and hot, and winters can be surprisingly extreme given the latitude (this past winter was rather prolonged, and we had multiple days of temps below 20°F...which is not common, but does happen on occasion).

5. The flock is locked up at night in a pair of small coops that are both open to a completely enclosed chain-link fence run, but free ranges in the back yard (~10,000 sq ft) all day.

6. My plan is to acquire a bird as young as possible (but old enough to be reliably sexed, of course) so that it grows up with the flock and us, in the hopes that this results in a rooster that is used to and at ease with people. If this thinking is flawed, I'd appreciate feedback on it.

7. While I'm not particularly concerned about aesthetics, my wife would like it if I got a "pretty rooster", with that being defined as something close to the stereotypical brightly colored plumage so common in artistic depictions of farm animals, like this one:
BrightlyColoredRoosterDrawing.jpg

If you've made it this far...I understand that some of these criteria might be at odds with one another to some degree, and that there likely will be some compromising/balancing between them required. So...what say ye?

You have come to the right place, and you will probably get some conflicting info based on peoples personal experiences. Each rooster is pretty individual and so is each chicken keeper.

Most docile roosters I have had were a buff Orpingtons, a barred rock, Easter egger mixes, and a black Australorp.

The most aggressive rooster I ever had was a barred rock that I had pampered as a chick. He was not afraid enough of me to respect me, and I was a child so I was not able to stand up for myself at all. Conversely, we also had a very well mannered barred rock rooster later on that never tried any agressive behavior with me. The Barred rock hens lay well, so a BR rooster would pass on good genes for egg laying.

The most consistently agressive roosters were white faced black Spanish, these birds are a Mediterranean breed that is known for their tendency toward agressive behavior. These guys are valiantly protective of their hens which can be a benefit if you want your flock protected from small predators, but I personally don't like them for a family farm situation.

The Easter Egger is my preferred rooster, they are beautiful with a big poofy beard, and are light bodied enough to tolerate heat and excessive humidity. Usually their temperament is relaxed. They will pass colored egg genes to their daughters. The E.E. hens don't lay as many eggs as most other breeds.

The Australorp roosters are excellent for temperament and are covered in black feathers that shine with a green sheen. They're not as colorful as an Easter egger roo, but they carry genes that produce hens that lay often and lay consistent large brown eggs.

It really depends on the individual, as @artbykarenehaley said.

Don't go for game fowl, that's for sure! I had a little Old English Game Bantam and he was nasty his whole life.

I've had Silkies face off with my shoes a couple times when I handle the hens because they want to protect them. But they don't attack hard and are too small to do real damage. So even the most "tame" birds will show off every once in a while, especially while they are young or during spring.

My Holland roosters have been my favorite ever! I raised 10 to maturity and none of them were ever aggressive. They were really curious and friendly! They are a rare breed but if you can find some by you I would highly recommend them!

Get a game cock, they are super pretty and are are far less likely to get aggressive with people.
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that "game cock" (or rather, "gamecock") is not a breed, but rather describes any rooster that's bred and trained for fighting. Given my criteria that sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.

Not fighting people, just other males. They are great with people even small kids. And they will fight of most predator's better then regular roosters. And they are drop dead gorgeous.

It really depends on the individual, as @artbykarenehaley said.

Don't go for game fowl, that's for sure! I had a little Old English Game Bantam and he was nasty his whole life.

I've had Silkies face off with my shoes a couple times when I handle the hens because they want to protect them. But they don't attack hard and are too small to do real damage. So even the most "tame" birds will show off every once in a while, especially while they are young or during spring.

My Holland roosters have been my favorite ever! I raised 10 to maturity and none of them were ever aggressive. They were really curious and friendly! They are a rare breed but if you can find some by you I would highly recommend them!
OEGB are not games. Look into it real games are the best with people.

Back
Top Bottom