How do you tell a goose from a gander?

another VERY obvious way is sometimes the ganders "boys parts" hang out the back (it looks like a corkscrew - as in ducks).
big_smile.png
. Thats how I confirmed my Boycie was definatly a boy!!!
gig.gif

The boys are usually bigger/chunkier with thicker necks. As for temperament - my goose is more aggressive with other animals than my gander. She will readily attack the dog, whereas the gander not so much.

They are embdens.

I just read an article that stated the gander will have a longer slimmer neck. I have 3 toulouse geese..One I am sure is a gander..the other two ..tis up in the air. but they are smaller than Jack..
One has pink beak & feet which I have never seen before. this was a purchase at the local feed store so no telling what they are or even if they are pure breed. Doesn't matter to this Mama Goose...I just wanted geese..but do not really want to deal with two Ganders. So once I am sure who is who & what is what..at the moment their names are Minny, Moe & Jack.
Moe & Jack
Minny and Einnee -a Indian Runner Duck

Last edited:
I just read an article that stated the gander will have a longer slimmer neck. I have 3 toulouse geese..One I am sure is a gander..the other two ..tis up in the air. but they are smaller than Jack..
One has pink beak & feet which I have never seen before. this was a purchase at the local feed store so no telling what they are or even if they are pure breed. Doesn't matter to this Mama Goose...I just wanted geese..but do not really want to deal with two Ganders. So once I am sure who is who & what is what..at the moment their names are Minny, Moe & Jack.
Moe & Jack
Minny and Einnee -a Indian Runner Duck
Their awful cute..
welcome-byc.gif

but moe could be a gander i guess you have to wait it out because ive no idea if they are all same age ?! Wait till moe is older

I'm sorry, you're right, they do all have rings around their eyes. I should have said Harold has red rings around his eyes. When I was outside yesterday, looking at how I was going to rearrange the pen, Harold and Maude were standing together looking at me and I thought I should have brought the camera with me because you could see the differences between them so clear. Harold's beak and eye rings are so distinctive. Don't know if all Toulouse geese can be sexed like this but you can sure tell the difference between my two. Of coarse I can also tell them apart by the difference in their body shape too.

Back
Top Bottom