How do you tell a goose from a gander?

A goose will just hiss at you. A gander will hiss at you, chase you, and try to pull your shorts off (with varying degrees of success depending on how alert you are - ask me how I know...)

I'm only half joking. And - you don't say if you're new to geese so I'm assuming, sorry - either way, do yourself a favor and do NOT let your ganders (or geese, really) get away with that behavior.

I like that my ganders are territorial, they protect everything else in the yard. But they DO NOT get to be that way with me. If you let them get away with it at first, it's going to be an uphill struggle for you later.

I am interested in what you said about my geese.
How do I tell an African from a Toulouse? other than the pinkish beak on the one goose they are feathering out about the same. Indeed they are all the same age.
Thank you for the info you gave & I am indeed interested in learning more about them.

that is why I was seeking info. at this moment they look the same..see pics. As they are feathering out I am not seeing much difference.
in a reply I was told by another person that I had 2 Africans & 1 Toulouse.. Wanting to learn I am now seeking more information on the differences both in appearance & personality. Yes I can google & read as well as anyone else. I am seeking information from those that have actual experience with the geese not just a statement from a page on the internet or in a book.

thanks for your feedback

thank you...I was thinking it was a goose not a gander..but either way..indeed I am sure you are correct. It was a one time thing & she has not tried it again..whoops ..yes she did & I stopped it. I have no desire to be chased about by geese..this is the head Mama Goose in this herd!
Or at least I want them to think so!

big_smile.png

Ok make a photo so i can tell
Here is the best picture I've got so far. Not the clearest but you can see Harold's redder beak and Maude's yellow. Can sort of see the red rings on Harold's eyes. I'll try for a clearer better picture. Maybe the larger version of this picture will show more if you click on it.

Dont worry thats perfectly normal for toulouse geese ! Espically ganders but its the female who has an odd yellow beak (but thats also normal )

that is why I was seeking info.  at this moment they look the same..see pics. As they are feathering out I am not seeing much difference.
in a reply I was told by another person that I had 2 Africans & 1 Toulouse.. Wanting to learn I am now seeking more information on the differences both in appearance & personality.  Yes I can google & read as well as anyone else.  I am seeking information from those that have actual experience with the geese not just a statement from a page on the internet or in a book.

thanks for your feedback

that person was me that said you had 2 Africans and a toulouse :D
stay on byc because i would love to see your goslings grow up ! ;)

The most obvious difference between African and Toulouse goslings is their beak. The top of a Toulouse is more squared off and the African is more rounded and kind of come to a point (where the knob grows out). You will also note the Africans have black beaks and as time passes your Toulouse's beak will turn orange.

grazing this AM

they trot to me at the sound of my voice

Jack & Moe

one of the issues of buying at the feed store..still not certain who is who or what is what...they are geese...well & 2 ducks!
I had heard that Africans were not as friendly as Toulouse..so was hoping they would be Toulouse..but so far everyone seems ok.
I realize time will tell..as they get older the personalities will show more.

Back
Top Bottom