How do you tell a goose from a gander?

Actually Africans are friendler.then toulouse (besides the giant dewelp toulouse) and it looks like you have one male and two females :)

Actually Africans are friendler.then toulouse (besides the giant dewelp toulouse) and it looks like you have one male and two females
smile.png

X2. My Africans are friendlier than my production Toulouse pair and most of my dewlaps.

nice to hear since I seem to have two Africans! I like geese & tend to spend time with them so they are fairly people friendly..had company over the other day ...the geese looked at them ..did a goosie shrug & went on about their grazing..now to introduce them to the chickens..
the entire flock will graze together is my plan..

Raining & lovely day to stay in ..sip tea & read posts.

thanks..the issue of course of buying from the feed store is that they get the overhatch & most usually one does not know what they are getting till the chicks mature. A few years ago I got two white geese with blue eyes! I used the method of ..get one bigger one..one smaller one & keep your fingers crossed they will be male/female!
That was pretty much the method this year as well...will keep pics posted..really enjoying my geese more this year as I am retired & can spend more time with them.

ahh ..I have been chosen as a favorite person by Moe..the Toulouse Goose.. When I open the house in the AM to let them out..
Of course there is a great deal of honking & greeting, but then the others go on their way. Moe stays by my side & walks with me all full of goose type chatter as she either tells me about or tattles on her roommates! My DH just about laughed to tears when he first watched this show, she is insistent about having my attention & will walk in front of me to stop me if she thinks I am ignoring her.

The Pekin Duck seems to have matched up with the gander..so will I end up with Gucks?? just joking!!!

All are thriving & have adjusted to the free range chickens. Although the day that the rooster challenged the gander , Jack. Well that was an interesting set of things for a few moments.

My chickens are about the size of Banti's now..& the rooster seems quite full of himself! He dashes out toward the gander..who kind of steps back a few steps..then I can see the change in his posture & thinking. It is now GET THE CHICKEN time..head down neck stretched out..after the rooster Jack goes. The rooster was smart enough to head for cover..now to find out if a chicken is smart enough to learn & remember this lil lesson!

The birds are a source of entertainment daily there is always a fun story of the day now! 9 new chicks purchased from Posey's on Sunday 20th. Dashed home to set up brooder area once again & glad to report these lil heavy chicks are thriving!

ahh ..I have been chosen as a favorite person by Moe..the Toulouse Goose.. When I open the house in the AM to let them out..
Of course there is a great deal of honking & greeting, but then the others go on their way. Moe stays by my side & walks with me all full of goose type chatter as she either tells me about or tattles on her roommates! My DH just about laughed to tears when he first watched this show, she is insistent about having my attention & will walk in front of me to stop me if she thinks I am ignoring her.

The Pekin Duck seems to have matched up with the gander..so will I end up with Gucks?? just joking!!!

All are thriving & have adjusted to the free range chickens. Although the day that the rooster challenged the gander , Jack. Well that was an interesting set of things for a few moments.

My chickens are about the size of Banti's now..& the rooster seems quite full of himself! He dashes out toward the gander..who kind of steps back a few steps..then I can see the change in his posture & thinking. It is now GET THE CHICKEN time..head down neck stretched out..after the rooster Jack goes. The rooster was smart enough to head for cover..now to find out if a chicken is smart enough to learn & remember this lil lesson!

The birds are a source of entertainment daily there is always a fun story of the day now! 9 new chicks purchased from Posey's on Sunday 20th. Dashed home to set up brooder area once again & glad to report these lil heavy chicks are thriving!
big_smile.png
Looks fun!

Oh that's all brilliant and sounds like good fun! My favorite thing is watching the birds interact with each other! And having one adopt you... well I have one of those. Careful... you're going to want to be distant from your birds and suddenly you have an avian partner that you didn't expect :p

Oh that's all brilliant and sounds like good fun! My favorite thing is watching the birds interact with each other! And having one adopt you... well I have one of those. Careful... you're going to want to be distant from your birds and suddenly you have an avian partner that you didn't expect :p
i have a number of 6-month-olds, and one of the girls that I´d planned to sell just likes to stand really close watching me and talking to me. I have a feeling she´ll stay!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom