How hot is too hot??

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Hi!
I live in Southern Cali and today has been the hottest day of the year so far. It’s currently 112 degrees, and at 10am it was already 100. I have 12 chickens, and I’m worried about them overheating. They have plenty of shade, but the air itself is hot so even in the shade it’s bad. They have plenty of water and I put a bucket of ice water with a fan mister on it (the kind you bring to a kids soccer game or camping). Any other tips would be great!!! It’s supposed to be just as hot tomorrow

I just went thru this for the past 6 days, and 1 of my girls hatched babies in this heat. I used frozen water bottles in their waterers, and in their nest boxes and some laying around here and there for them to stand or lay next to. I also watered the ground down, gave them frozen watermelon. Put out shallow pans of water and dropped black oil sunflower seeds in it to encourage them to walk in it.

I just went thru this for the past 6 days, and 1 of my girls hatched babies in this heat. I used frozen water bottles in their waterers, and in their nest boxes and some laying around here and there for them to stand or lay next to. I also watered the ground down, gave them frozen watermelon. Put out shallow pans of water and dropped black oil sunflower seeds in it to encourage them to walk in it.
Frozen watermelon sounds like a good idea!! I’ll try that! And the frozen water bottles! Thanks!

I just took a spade and dig some shallow dirt for my girls , they jumped right in and coutinued to dig, i also give them dog bowls of fresh water and wet their grains down .
It’s hot everywhere these days

Last edited:
I just took a spade and dig some shallow dirt for my girls , they jumped right in and county to dig, i also give them dog bowls of fresh water and wet their grains down .
It’s hot everywhere these days
Thank you!! I did notice they were digging a lot of dirt up today! Especially my silkies!

Back
Top Bottom