How I Used the HOA By-Law to Keep My Chickens

jujub41482

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I just wanted to share some good news and pass along some potentially useful information to others who might have a HOA covenant written like mine. I had a neighbor who is known for being a hot-head and a complainer send me a letter telling me that I needed to get rid of my chickens because they aren't allowed in our neighborhood because poultry is not allowed. The by-law is stated like this:

No animals, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred or kept on any lot or tract subject hereto except for dogs, cats or other household pets which may be kept provided that they are not bred or maintained for any commercial purposes, and allowed to run loose. All pets shall at all times be kept on a leash.

The President of my HOA came to my house today to discuss the issue and I made my case for my chickens not being used as poultry, but rather pets. He considered the argument and agreed with me and said that I am within my right to have pet chickens!

I've noticed that a lot of HOA covenants have a statement just like this one or similar, so I just thought this information might help someone else out that is in the same situation as myself.

Back
Top Bottom