How long are they fresh for?

wrldlygrrl

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Decatur, GA
So, I know in Jamaica, at the supermarket and in small shops, eggs are never refrigerated. They sell them in the store one by one. How long are they fresh for (unrefrigerated)?

As long as it is less than 90 degrees, they're fine for a couple of weeks, as long as they are not washed. Washing them removes their natural protective coating, and washed eggs should be refrigerated. I store mine on the countertop in a basket, but if it's over 90 in the house in the summer, I put them in the fridge because it can get hot enough in my kitchen to start incubating them, and you don't want to open an egg with a half-formed chick in it for breakfast, yuck.

Last edited:
They will last for months unwashed on the counter; but otherwise I agree with Ariel.
thumbsup.gif

According to Gail Damerow's book, "Barnyard in your backyard", "An egg stored at room tempature ages more in 1 day than an egg stored in the refrigerator ages in 1 week."

I do not wash my eggs. They sit on my kitchen counter for 8-15 days before I get around to eating (or hatching) them. They are noticeably fresher than store eggs which are (on average) two months old.

I don't have any qualms about letting them sit out for 3 or 4 days. Longer than that, I do think they will age faster than if in the fridge. Fridge life is up to 3 months, but 2 is better.

Eggs freeze well for a few months, also.

Better safe then sorry, always refridgerate!...If you want room temp eggs, you can always refridgerate them and then pull out eggs you want to use and let them warm up for a few hours. I get 15-18 eggs a day, I never leave them on the counter! I sale my eggs as well, and I have many people who love my farm fresh eggs and I've never gotten sick from any of my eggs. If they are clean I leave them alone, but they are dirty I will rinse them under warm running water!

Back
Top Bottom