how long do chicks need the heat lamp?

I think this is good advice. I have purchased Pullets from a large nursery however at 5 weeks and they take all of them off the heat at 5 weeks. I got them home and they were fine, however I put in a drop light that prod a little heat. This was in month of April in the Rocky Mt area. So I haven't been convinced of the need for heat past 6 weeks, however it depends on the breed and if they are feathered in completely, the feather in completely is often the key to coming to this decision. However, to play it safe, a 100 watt bulb, even a 60 watt is never a bad idea in the beginning and will not harm or bother the birds after you decide to eliminate the heating lamp. I did this for about a month. Then a night light at night time help prevent them from freaking out and later when they began laying the night light helped them get down in the early morning hours to lay their eggs as sometimes if its pitch dark they will simply drop their egg from the perch cause they can't see to find there way or jump down, thus broken eggs.

My first four babies are 9 days old I have them under a heat lamp.I am raising them indoors the room is a constant 72 degrees when can I take the heat off them they are getting their feathers and combs

My first four babies are 9 days old I have them under a heat lamp.I am raising them indoors the room is a constant 72 degrees when can I take the heat off them they are getting their feathers and combs
They need heat until they are FULLY feathered at about 6 weeks. They should start at about 95 degrees and drop 5 degrees a week until they are feathered and acclimated to the ambient temperatures. 72 degrees can freeze them until they are fully feathered. You still have a long way to go for now. Good luck.

Thank you, that helps me a lot
You are welcomed.
big_smile.png

welp, i live in louisiana, it is warm up here right now. i will put my chics outside in about a week. they were hatched ma 31. replaced 6 hens that my jacks killed when they jumped the fence one night. i have built the great wall of Chickdom. no more dog problems. and btw, alt+0186 = º for degrees.

your new to chickens. send me a message if you have a question i have 11 chickens and i am getting 12 more on monday
big_smile.png
JUST FOUND OUT 3 DAYS AGO.
ep.gif

Hi. I'm brand new to chickens. I'm wondering about this same topic. My chicks are 2 and 5 days old (a Barred Rock & a Red Star). Right now their lamp is positioned to give them a 95* area. If I decrease it by 5* each week for 8 weeks, the temp in the brooder would be 55*, if it were outside. I'm brooding them inside my house, and the house temp is a constant 72*. Could I not just remove the heat lamp altogether after 4 weeks?
I had my chicks in a bathroom and I adjusted the heat lamp by raising it's height and it seemed to work okay.
On my page I had a photo but I can't find it to add it. On taped a 2 x 2 post to the mirror, I had my chicks in a bin on the counter with a chicken wire cover and I raised or lowered the heat lamp on that post depending on the temperature I needed. I kept a thermometer in the bin with the chicks - it worked pretty well.
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom