how long do chicks need the heat lamp?

Mine are in the house and the house is always warm during the day. They are 2 weeks. At night I lay down a couple of hot water bottles that have teddy bear covers. Even during the day they snuggle in to them. They have not had the heat lamp on for one week. They are happy and healthy.they are feathering up well. It's approaching summer. I will be putting them out and keeping them in the shed at 6 weeks and letting them out

I've always kept a light available until they are FULLY feathered unless it is at least 75 degrees or above. I just also make sure that the chickens have the ability to get away from it if they want. Like I just put chicks out this past weekend into a coop that is a 7' by 2' coop and I have the light on one end and it leaves the rest unheated. Once the chicks start to avoid the light, I'll turn it off during the day but give it a bit longer during the night. I've know too many people to lose their chicks because they thought they were ready to turn off the heat too soon.

my four week olds cried too... and piled up in the corners of their coop at night. Thought they were killing each other then realized they wanted the heat at night. put the lamp back in. happy chickens again, lol

I have 2 week old chicks and just got 1 day olds today. How long do i keep the 2 week old ones under the lamp? I have th
both 2 week and day olds inside next to the window for additional sun and heat.

the chicks should have a heat lamp in the begining starting at 95/90 degrees, reducing by 5 degrees until chicks are 9 weeks old.

so 1 week 90/95

second week 90/85

3rd week 80/85

4th week 75/80

5th week 70/75

6th week 65/70

keep it that temp till no heat needed 9 weeks

Back
Top Bottom