How many chickens will fit?

How cold is 'cold'? Chickens have a lot of insulating fluff under their sleek exteriors. As mentioned earlier in the thread, don't lock them up if the run is secure enough. They can decide for themselves if it's acceptable weather outside.

it gets bellow zero some times and thanks for the advice. I will leave the door open in the winter to. should I leave the door closed though if it is bellow zero?

Temperature isn't a big deal for chickens. They can be out below zero if it's still, or stay in above zero if it's windy and rainy. You can leave the door open as long as it doesn't let the wind right in. It'll help with ventilation.

ok thanks. there is an "porch" that is enclosed so that will probably help keep the wind off of them. would it help putting a tarp around the run and what about frost bite?

Frostbite is usually caused by a lack of ventilation. Moist air from the chickens' breathing needs to be able to escape, otherwise it can condense on the combs and freeze. As long as they are kept dry, and are in a well ventilated coop, chickens can handle temps well below zero.

Last edited:
Frostbite is usually caused by a lack of ventilation. Moist air from the chickens' breathing needs to be able to escape, otherwise it can condense on the combs and freeze. As long as they are kept dry, and are in a well ventilated coop, chickens can handle temps well below zero.

good replay

Ok thank you for the help!
celebrate.gif
did not know much about frostbite on the combs other than it did happen. I have only had my first flock for about 4 months, well a little bit longer than that but I already love them so much! I am still learning about them and what breeds would be good in the future to get possibly in the spring.

Roosters with big single combs will have frostbitten tips, and loose the tips in winter when it's below zero F. Dry coop conditions and blocking wind from roosts helps a lot. Choosing breeds with smaller combs, especially NOT single or buttercup combs, will work best in colder climates. My Marans cock lost tips last winter, and everyone else was fine. A friend of mine has a heat lamp in her (very large!) coop to keep the chill off, and her Marans boy had no comb issues at all. My coop is insulated and has good ventilation at the same time, so it's not damp. Mary

Back
Top Bottom