How many chickens?

I could put a roof over the run for the winter time...

That would be great! If you need any help with roof logistics, let us know. What is the 3x6 run made of? Does it have any sort of netting/hardware cloth top right now? A photo of your run would help us help you. :) For my small wooden run, I installed metal roof panels from Home Depot, which was really easy. If your run is chain link or something like that, a tarp would probably be easiest. Tell us more about your run setup and we might be able to offer suggestions.

Hi Everybody -- I have a run area of approximately 500 square feet and two chicken coops. I now have 10 chickens. Is that too many? Five birds in each coop; although the smaller one has the larger birds--by their choice--when I got second larger coop they stayed put and I acquired 5 pullets and they're now camping out in that one. I'm nervous about having too many girls -- wanted 8 - then got 2 that had a "groupie" and owner said she'd take her back. Any suggestions? Thx, Pat

Hi Everybody -- I have a run area of approximately 500 square feet and two chicken coops.  I now have 10 chickens.   Is that too many?   Five birds in each coop; although the smaller one has the larger birds--by their choice--when I got second larger coop they stayed put and I acquired 5 pullets and they're now camping out in that one.    I'm nervous about having too many girls -- wanted 8 - then got 2 that had a "groupie" and owner said she'd take her back.   Any suggestions?  Thx, Pat

You definitely have enough run space. How big are each of your chicken coops, and which breeds do you keep in them? With that info, we can tell you if you have enough coop space :)

Last edited:
Me again -- I've contacted owner and we're gonna send the "groupie" back--with 9 full grown hens -- which w/happen in another month or so -- it's gonna be a full house (run).

forgot breed info -- the smaller coop where my original girls migrated to - I started out with a very small one -- got the 4x2x2 one w/2 leghorns and now Welly, Easter Egger & Brahma hang there; the 2 new marans, Olive Egger & Barred Rock are in newest 5x3x3-- since I got rid of dinky one for 5 by
confused? Hope not

Hi Ms.Napa...
your coops seem good and your run very nicely sized. My coop is a 'cape cod' online kit which mom thought was neat (and so did I) but after assembly i noticed that the hens when they are on the provided roosts that they are a mere 2 inched from the poo tray.

I have pulletts which will get larger. my cukoo maran, cream leghorn x americauna mix and my lavender isbar all are fair sized birds. So we put the coop right in the run which is 6 feet x 6 feet x 12 feet long. big enough to sit in there with our girls :).

By the way. we were told that chickens don't fly. B S !!! (sorry) they fly as well as any other large bird. we owned a blue and gold macaw who flew the same way...slow on takeoff but once airborne -look out!

forgot breed info -- the smaller coop where my original girls migrated to - I started out with a very small one -- got the 4x2x2 one w/2 leghorns and now Welly, Easter Egger & Brahma hang there; the 2 new marans, Olive Egger & Barred Rock are in newest 5x3x3-- since I got rid of dinky one for 5 by
confused?  Hope not

Those coops are much too small, unfortunately...you should have a minimum of 4 square feet per bird in the coops. So for five birds each, each of your coops should be a minimum of 20 square feet, ex. 4x5. I'm not certain if your dimensions are LxWxH or HxLxW: for example, is your first coop 4 feet tall or 2 feet tall? If you can upload pictures of what your coops look like, we can help more. Either way, though, it's high time you got a bigger coop! Your little ones are great to have for quarantine areas, but your main coop(s) should be much bigger.

Are you (or is someone you know) handy? You really need a bigger coop, and you could take this opportunity to integrate your flocks and build one new large coop that can fit all your birds and then some. A good size would be 6x8 or, if you think you might ever add some more hens, 8x8.

Back
Top Bottom