How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

D.gif
I have 7 hens and they are almost 5 months and one hen is already laying but they are still the small eggs. She lays one everyday for the most part. Sometimes there's one day in the week that she takes off.

In the spring I get as many as 430 a week, so I guess I'm spoiled,
lol.png
. All my birds are molting now, so I'm thankful I'm still getting a decent amount of eggs.
big_smile.png
The fermented feed really makes a difference.
WHAAT???
droolin.gif
Being serious, I have 15 hens, 6 laying so far. Eggs here are $4.69/dz and there is a limit. Egg shortage. I never thought of selling, but folks are begging for fresh eggs. Thanks to AI and changed Ca laws. If all mine were laying, I could sure sell 5 dz per week to pay their feed bill.

@mymilliefleur

th.gif
YOU ARE KIDDING ME.
wink.png
How many chickens do you have and have you posted on:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-how-many-chickens-on-byc/1050#post_15800325 ???
if you haven't already that would boost the total by a lot!!
lol.png

I have about 60-70 hens and some bantams (Ahem, chicken math). I'll check out that thread, If I include the cockerels we're raising for meat that will really boost the number...I really don't know exactly how many chickens I have...I'm afraid to add them up.
roll.png

WHAAT???
droolin.gif
Being serious, I have 15 hens, 6 laying so far. Eggs here are $4.69/dz and there is a limit. Egg shortage. I never thought of selling, but folks are begging for fresh eggs. Thanks to AI and changed Ca laws. If all mine were laying, I could sure sell 5 dz per week to pay their feed bill.

I sell eggs when I have extras in the spring for $5/doz. With a large family we don't usually have a lot of extras. I too have had tons of people begging me for eggs. With commercial egg prices going up a lot more people are interested in buying homegrown eggs. I wonder what will happen if we have another AI outbreak this winter.

I have about 60-70 hens and some bantams (Ahem, chicken math). I'll check out that thread, If I include the cockerels we're raising for meat that will really boost the number...I really don't know exactly how many chickens I have...I'm afraid to add them up. :rolleyes:

I sell eggs when I have extras in the spring for $5/doz. With a large family we don't usually have a lot of extras. I too have had tons of people begging me for eggs. With commercial egg prices going up a lot more people are interested in buying homegrown eggs. I wonder what will happen if we have another AI outbreak this winter.

Lol guilty of having no clue how many birds I actually have... Guess I have 10 more than I thought, so I should be getting more eggs than I am lol... I have a good stash of pickled ones, but I am always pleasantly surprised to see them disappear when I start hoarding them lol... I think we've replaced most of our protein needs with eggs! Easier for me to digest, and even the kids appreciate a pickled egg over a candy bar for a snack ;)

The problem I run into is space storing them lol... Right now I'm good, 6 dozen is what I like to have on hand. Once every couple weeks if I can't give away or sell some, I'll take 8 dozen and pickle them, and it takes 4 dozen just to make 10 batches ofcpasta, so they go pretty fast :)

I used to get 2 dozen a day when I had 60-70 chickens in the summer, but right now after selling all but 12 layers I am getting.... 2.eggs.per.day. and that is with 12 (supposed to) laying hens!!!! I was getting 12 a day with the same flock just this summer!!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I used to get 2 dozen a day when I had 60-70 chickens in the summer, but right now after selling all but 12 layers I am getting.... 2.eggs.per.day. and that is with 12 (supposed to) laying hens!!!! I was getting 12 a day with the same flock just this summer!!!
barnie.gif
Are they molting/starting to molt? It might just be the waning daylight.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom