How many eggs does one peahen lay and what time frame is that?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Lay late spring until summer.

The eggs taste alot like chicken ,turkey,quail,pheasant, eggs. Nothing like waterfowl eggs.

Yes i will eat a cracked egg, or very early ones , or late ones after the peacocks have drop their train.

Thanks so much, my beleif always is anything is a price of what someone wants to pay for

So eggs not being bred..aren't doing me any good just going in the trash right?

Sooooo, I guess your saying..sell them eh?
Hehehehe

My 2 year old peahen began laying in March of this year. She laid 9 eggs, now nothing since the end of March. I have had no luck hatching the eggs, but know they were fertile, because one broke and had a tiny chick inside. Will she begin laying again this year? I wish I could find a buyer for the eggs rather than try to hatch- too nerve racking for me.

Peahens start laying in early April. April and May are the best months. June is not bad but only expect a few in July and even fewer in August. How many eggs a hen will lay is a matter of speculation since many of us free range. It probably will depend on the age of the hen too. Look for 12 to 20 eggs per season. Late season eggs seem not to hatch as well as early season. Some eggs will be infertile while others simply will not hatch. If 65% of every egg you pick up hatches you are doing about as good as it gets. Part of the failure of of eggs to hatch lies in the incubation. Most people who use an incubator have only a foggy notion of how they operate. Hence the poor hatch rate experienced by most.

Just wondering if there is anyone in Idaho that raises and sells peafowl? I live near Lewiston, Idaho.
I'm in Nampa, Idaho. I breed Indian Blue and White peafowl. I sell Indian Blue peachicks $20 each, White peachicks $40 each. They are straight run. Right now I'm sold out of chicks. I should have some late spring early summer. Here are my breeding peafowl.
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG

Last fall my pied hen's eggs didn't hatch due to being infertile. I noticed this spring that my IB Peacock's longest feathers have a V at the end. I am supposing that he is now sexually mature [age 5]. My 3 hens are each sitting on 6 eggs due to hatch this week and the next.
Yesterday I noticed that my Bronze hen had apparently thrown one egg out of the nest [on a table]. The shell was broken and there was an embryo inside. I don't know what happened. Could she have discovered a crack in the egg while turning them? It's not likely that it fell accidentally because when she started laying there, I put 1x4 boards along the edge of the table to prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom