How many eggs does one peahen lay and what time frame is that?

Are they all in sucession, Dont know if i spelled that right. Like after one clutch, its another and then another or are yall talking skipping a month or so?

Honestly, I usually don't notice the down time because I usually have three or more females in a pen. I would guess the downtime is usually a couple of weeks at the most. I think pulling the eggs daily tends to make them just keep on laying with minimal down time.

Egg laying started so early this year, that it is going to be interesting to see hhow many eggs I will eventually get.

Three hens, 87 eggs so far! Out of the last ten set, only one wasn't fertile, two died at about 10 days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I have 6 hens all in pens with 3 cocks I averaged 42 eggs per bird last year. But I was only feeding laying mash to them all year. The earliest I got an egg last year was late February. I did maintain a 85% hatch rate last year also. So I've had very good luck with my flock!

Hello, What kind of area do you live in? Do you have close neighbors, nearby roads, predators? You might not be able to let them roam safely, depending upon your environment...

welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the wonderful world of Peas! Even if you have the perfect environment for free ranging your Peafowl...... out in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors around, you still need to keep them penned for at least 3 months. Peacocks become territorialized and when you move them they will not view the new place as their territory, they will still consider the old place as their territory and they will leave and try to find their way back home. You need to pen them long enough for them to forget the old place and get to know the new place as well as their new caregivers. Once they are well settled in and are used to you and the new surroundings, I would start by letting one out at a time during the day only, then try 2 at a time then eventually all 3. I always recommend 3 months and easing into the free ranging. I have heard so many people say they brought peas home and after a week or 2 they turned them loose and then never saw them again. What kind did you get, any pictures? We love pictures!

Back
Top Bottom