How messy are doves and pigeons?

Same frequency smaller quantities than chickens; Maybe about the same frequency and same size as quail.
Thanks, but I'm thoroughly deciding if doves or quails are better for me. I have quails, but doubt if doves are better. I was told by many as it seems obvious that doves are cleaner than chickens. I'm unsure compared with quail.

Great, but if possible, can you clarify? King pigeons and Runts are a utility bred pigeons,(these are two of the more popular breeds bred for this purpose). They are specifically bred for the table. They are ready to consume in a matter of weeks They are something a kin to Meat King or Cornish bred chickens.

If you check out the video link in my signature you will get a good idea about the birds I have a passion about.

Last edited:
Oh, I see, but I'm more into keeping them as companion pets rather than food, so I reckon barbary doves (for their smaller size) and homing pigeons (for the ability to return to their home location regardless of distance).

I currently have some rollers and some beautifully coloured pigeons. They all seem to home quite well despite being non racers. They normally just sit on the local houses, fly in circles over the garden and wonder around the garden. They do sometimes have a little fly about and disappear for an hour or so but always come back to the loft. I don't have them trapped up at all but rather have a hole at the top of their loft that is open 24/7. I only keep them closed in if I have new birds so that I can 'home' the new birds. I also keep quail and personally I'd say that pigeons would be better suited to your requirements. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
I currently have some rollers and some beautifully coloured pigeons. They all seem to home quite well despite being non racers. They normally just sit on the local houses, fly in circles over the garden and wonder around the garden. They do sometimes have a little fly about and disappear for an hour or so but always come back to the loft. I don't have them trapped up at all but rather have a hole at the top of their loft that is open 24/7. I only keep them closed in if I have new birds so that I can 'home' the new birds. I also keep quail and personally I'd say that pigeons would be better suited to your requirements. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow.
Okay! But personally, I prefer doves over pigeons for their smaller size, but pigeons would be nice! I currently have quails.

Okay! But personally, I prefer doves over pigeons for their smaller size, but pigeons would be nice! I currently have quails.
I understand what you mean, I'm currently looking into buying diamond doves for my aviary as I think they are amazing. I don't really know much about doves and thier homing ability but live in an area with many Barbary doves flying about and I think they are amazing.

I understand what you mean, I'm currently looking into buying diamond doves for my aviary as I think they are amazing. I don't really know much about doves and thier homing ability but live in an area with many Barbary doves flying about and I think they are amazing.
Me too, I think they're amazing as well! For me, I choose barbary doves over diamond doves in spite of that they're hardier with a more docile nature. I've seen diamond doves and they're very small, fragile, and a bit timid.

Back
Top Bottom