How much does it cost to feed chickens?

Chickens don't eat from boredom they (less hybrid meat birds) only eat until they reach their daily calorie requirement... Being cooped up and bored usually causes social issues like aggression, pecking and feather pulling of other birds or even themselves...

They can easily waste feed out of that type of feeder... I'll bet there is a lot of waste...
what do you suggest?

I remember seeing the five gallon feeder but I have been so busy with tractor and coop building I stuck with the feeders. I will change this weekend now that I know I am wasting tons of money! Thanks!

If your using crumbles I suggest you switch to pellets. As for reclaiming waste some put a large pan under the feeder to catch any that falls. Also make sure you aren't feeding the local wildlife and rodent population.
OK, all feed goes in at night and is in the run only in the day time so it has to be waste. Thanks

feeder

Those are nice looking chickens. . And we know there well fed ..
Those bucket feeders with the elbows in them look good..
I built a feeder that had a wide tray. With 4 ..1 inch holes in each corner and they still wasted feed.theyd peck 1 pellet then roll 4 more out in tray.. and ya think they'd eat those noo they go back only to roll out more...
So ya I'm redoing mine too..don't feel bad.

Thanks for the help. I am two and a half months in and the pretty RIR 25 weeks are just freeloaders. My two buff ee crosses and one of my three Barred rocks 29 weeks started finally a week and a half ago. So I am just learning.

Thanks for the help. I am two and a half months in and the pretty RIR 25 weeks are just freeloaders. My two buff ee crosses and one of my three Barred rocks 29 weeks started finally a week and a half ago. So I am just learning.

Sounds like your handy though..
I'm sure you could build a wood feeder that would work just like that bucket feeder. If you have scrap wood that's considered free since it's scrap..
I know I could too..but I was thinking wood is heavy. .and once in awhile, ya may want to clean it.
So I'm thinking I'm gonna try the bucket feeder..since its plastic it will be light to pull it out to clean.. I'm gonna build 2 ..so I can empty a whole bag .. I don't like keeping half bags around.

Or you can use a larger container like a plastic tub, I picked up my tub at Goodwill for a few bucks so it wasn't costly at all...

It easily holds 150# of feed with room to spare...

Looks great.. that probably too big for me. I have a 35 gallon barrel. Plastic I could use..but it's too big too I think.. probably could cut it down some.
I just have 1 coop now.. but in spring I will have 2.. so making 2 buckets. Would make sense for me I think.

If you live in or close to a rural area, you may be able to find a "feed mill." For me, they have the cheapest cost for all my scratch grains and feed. My local feed mill sells a 75lb bag of layer chicken feed for $11.51 including tax. I am very fortunate because I haven't ever seen feed for anywhere cheaper than that. And the chickens like it. The feed mill makes it themselves, and there's a list of all the ingredients. I've compared the ingredients and it's just as good as any other commercial feed I've found.

All their scratch grains are cheaper too.

Really, overall I haven't felt keeping chickens is very expensive at all. The highest costs I've had is in buying the chickens. I use free mulch to stock their pens, I plant a garden to give then extra greens and they free range all day. Their fencing and all that was already in place here before we moved so that was awesome too.

Back
Top Bottom