How much does it cost to feed chickens?

OK how much per pullet per day if they only get out a few evenings a week? I have 15 and am going through more than a bag a week. Should I just put less out?

OK how much per pullet per day if they only get out a few evenings a week? I have 15 and am going through more than a bag a week. Should I just put less out?

You should not ration food...

Pullets will eat about 1.5 lbs a week, so for 15 pullets you should be using about 23 pounds of food a week... If you are using significantly more you should as suggested above try to limit their waste with a different type of feeder or a feed location where the stuff they toss on the ground can more easily be reclaimed...

I have a feeder that hangs from tsc that has the dividers to keep them from searching it out. I am not seeing much on the ground. Is it boredom? They are stuck in tractors with small runs till I get the coop done(hopefully this next week). I have just let them have as much as they want. Only three are laying so far.

You need a feeder . One they can't scratch it out and waste feed
feeder

I have a feeder that hangs from tsc that has the dividers to keep them from searching it out. I am not seeing much on the ground. Is it boredom? They are stuck in tractors with small runs till I get the coop done(hopefully this next week). I have just let them have as much as they want. Only three are laying so far.

Chickens don't eat from boredom they (less hybrid meat birds) only eat until they reach their daily calorie requirement... Being cooped up and bored usually causes social issues like aggression, pecking and feather pulling of other birds or even themselves...

They can easily waste feed out of that type of feeder... I'll bet there is a lot of waste...

Last edited:
If your using crumbles I suggest you switch to pellets. As for reclaiming waste some put a large pan under the feeder to catch any that falls. Also make sure you aren't feeding the local wildlife and rodent population.

Back
Top Bottom