How much grit do chickens need?

OK, I know this thread is 3 years old, but maybe someone will still see this?? ; ) -- Does anyone know at what age I can switch from chick grit to the regular size poultry grit? Thanks a bunch!!
:goodpost: i would feed chicks the chick size poultry grit ,but then you can change over to the adult size poultry grit when your pullets are close to an adult size bird, good luck :thumbsup:highfive::frow:)

I know this like the most late post ever but I think I know the answer. the chart on my grit packaging says that they switch from chick grit to poultry grit at seven weeks of age. at 18 weeks of age they use poultry grit and oyster shell. hope this helps even if it was late.

As this old thread rises from the dead. ;-)
Some general basic info....

Chickens need grit because they do not have teeth to grind down their food. When left to forage over a larger area, chickens naturally pick up grit in the form of tiny pebbles. They store grit in the gizzard and when the gizzard moves, the food is ground with any grit inside. The food, now a paste, can then pass safely through the digestive tract. The gizzard grinds up the grit, and eventually the grit is small enough to pass through the digestive tract, which is why chickens need to replenish it. Without grit, chickens cannot effectively eat their food and in some cases can suffer from impaction.

Hens also require calcium-rich oyster shell grit to help them with developing strong eggs. Without this nutritional supplement, hens can develop brittle bones or sour crop, especially those who are good layers.

In most cases, backyard chicken owners limit their flock’s foraging to keep them safe from predators. Even with free-range chickens, a piece of land may not have enough of the right kind of small pebbles to help chickens with digestion. It is often a good idea to offer some grit to help a flock.

K :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom