How much grit do chickens need?

I am also wondering about the smaller grit. I got some because I have some new chicks, but they all free range. My friend at the feedstore had told me they wouldn't need grit if they free ranged, but I just wanted to make sure there was extra if they needed it. Anyway, so I have this really big bag of small grit and am wondering if the small grit will help grown chickens as well? Or, should I get some of the larger? I think I would spend my last penny on any and everything for my girls, so I have to check myself hahaha!! Y'all know what I mean, right;)

I am also wondering about the smaller grit. I got some because I have some new chicks, but they all free range. My friend at the feedstore had told me they wouldn't need grit if they free ranged, but I just wanted to make sure there was extra if they needed it. Anyway, so I have this really big bag of small grit and am wondering if the small grit will help grown chickens as well? Or, should I get some of the larger? I think I would spend my last penny on any and everything for my girls, so I have to check myself hahaha!! Y'all know what I mean, right;)

You can put the small grit out for the grown chickens too. It would be worth it to keep some for your next batch of chicks, though - or you might find yourself having to buy another bag next time!

Do they really even need it? I have 1 year old chickens that I've never given grit to. Should I start? Should I get my new chicks some chick grit? If so, how do you feed it to them?

I thought I read somewhere when I first got the older ones that they didn't need grit if they had access to dirt (their entire run is dirt and I usually throw in some lettuce, vegetables, dandelion, or clover every day). The chicks don't eat anything but the chick starter, and are kept in the brooder until fully feathered (I will start taking them for supervised visits to the run at about 3-4 weeks).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

They won't get grit from dirt, they'll get it from rocks/pebbles. I make that distinction because there are basically no rocks on my property (good old solid clay everywhere). If you've got soil with plenty of rocks, there's no need for the stuff. If your property is like mine, it needs to be fed, as they're not going to get it anywhere else.

I feel the need to point out that no one actually answered the original question which is "how much grit do chickens need?" I am wondering this as well. If I put out an all-you-can-eat buffet style grit they dig it out and scatter it. I have no idea what they actually consume, and since I move my pen every week the grit they spill doesn't stay available to them. Do they eat it every day? Once a week? How long does it stay in the gizzard? Anybody know? Also same question about oyster shell. I haven't given it yet because they aren't laying yet, but I have the same concern about how much to give without being super wasteful.

I was looking back through all of the information I could find, as well as some from other sites. (I am new and wanted to know too) I did read a phrase that has stuck with me when it comes to grit and oyster shell..."When in doubt, put it out". I'm going with that for now. It does seem that our ladies eat the grit on an as needed basis.

The reason there is not an answer is that there is no one answer - the variables such as the size and type of grit, as well as the diet, are going to factor into how long a particular intake of grit will last the bird. If you are having an issue with "waste" you can simply adjust the container it is offered in. Are you moving your pen around in the same general area? If so, the grit left behind is not actually wasted, it's just waiting for them to scratch around and find the next time they are over that spot.

That makes sense, thank you. I will try some different feeders. Lately I have just been tossing a handful when I give them scratch or veggie scraps.

Back
Top Bottom