How much room does a goat need?

Yes - goats and a donkey can live in the same pen. Some people even use the donkey as a predator monitor and protector of the goats. I'm not sure about the ratio of goats to donkeys, though.

any update on this guy with the petting zoo? Did he have bucks and does in the same pen? Might make for a horrible kidding if so...

Quote:
The only thing I must say about this, is that we kept a mini donkey in with our goats for a while, and there were some problems. Dokeys and goats have different dietary needs, so that may become a problem. The main problem was that the donkey loved picking up the goats by the back of their neck and dragging them around. Once he started doing that, he was put in with the horses, where he has been just fine
smile.png

Ouch! That must have been a site to see.

I don't have any donkeys - regular or mini - but had a friend who did and that's why I answered as such. Guess every case (and animal) is different!

Glad to hear all yours started getting along once your mini was removed!

It depends on what forage is available and what he is feeding them. I personally would not put more than 2 goats in an area that size and that would only be if they had an attached shelter and the pen was overgrown with forage. With goats there is a major wormload issue so they need space so as not to contain any shed worms in one area bla bla it gets complicated lol! If he is feeding properly ie; hay free choice as well as feed then maybe he is ok but still to me that is way too many critters in that small of an area.

Quote:
I haven't been over there in a while but I was just thinking about it the other day. I will stop in this weekend to see what he has going on.
He did have males in there but I don't know if they were bucks or whethers.

The space isn't the issue, the square footage is acceptable. Unless he is rotating he WILL have worm problems. That is a set-up for a parisite storm. Big concern is turkeys in with the chickens. There are a lot of diseses that chickens carry without a problem that will kill a turkey.

I allow 6 sq feet per goat for housing (under cover), open acces to pasture and a light stocking rate of about 3 goats per acre. Without pasture they need 1 square bale of hay per 8 goats per day, plus grain or corn and a free fed mineral suppliment. I know people that go as low as 3.5 square feet under cover and 8 goats grazing per acre without problems but they ROTATE!

Back
Top Bottom