How to Breed Black Breasted Red ?

Chickanmanfromarkansas

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
As in the title.
How would I go about breed a Blk Brstd Red, I don't know there are already so many varieties of Rock, Wynadottes, and such. I would like to breed my own breed I guess. I like the Plymouth Rocks, Wynadottes, RIR's, Cochins, Jersey Giants, and Polish.
I do not have to use all these breeds, but would like to include as many BIG chickens as possible. I would like them to be BBRed.
What two colors do I need to start with? Are there any other chickens that come BBRed besides Old English Game and Araucana?
I guess for now these are the starting questions.

Welsummers and Red Dorkings I believe are the only heavy breed BBRed ( Red Duckwing ) colored birds that we have in the US, it would probably be tetter for your to start with those and breed from there towards what you want.

Thanks, Clint. I have Welsummer avaiable to me. I'll work toward getting the Red Doking. Is Sand Hill the only place to get them?
Are there any private breeders out there that may have some avaiable in the spring?

Quote:
Could probably contact Craig Russell, I can't remember if I heard he has Dorking's or not (think he does, but not 100% sure). But either way, Dorking's are a rare breed.. He is the president of the SPPA (Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities) and could most likely point you in the right direction otherwise.

Rt. 4 Box 251
Middleburg, PA 17842
570-837-3157 Is his contact information (you can find it on feathersite)

Quote:
Well if you just want the color then the Wellsummers would be all you need then you could cross to what ever breed breed you want and start there. But if you just wanted to breed in the Dorking blood too,I'm not sure who all has the Red Dorkings, I know that they are really rear. Silver Grey dorkings are more readily available and are Silver Duckwing colord which are the Silver inverse of a Red Duckwing( BBRed) So if you are able to get a Welsummer roo and wanted to breed him to Silver Grey Dorking hens, then all of your female offspring would be pure gold gened and would be the pure Red Duckwing color and the males would be Split for both Silver and Gold genes ane would look more like Golden Duckwings and the males could be used in later crossings too.

Last edited:
RAREROO wrote:

Well if you just want the color then the Wellsummers would be all you need then you could cross to what ever breed breed you want and start there. But if you just wanted to breed in the Dorking blood too,I'm not sure who all has the Red Dorkings, I know that they are really rear. Silver Grey dorkings are more readily available and are Silver Duckwing colord which are the Silver inverse of a Red Duckwing( BBRed) So if you are able to get a Welsummer roo and wanted to breed him to Silver Grey Dorking hens, then all of your female offspring would be pure gold gened and would be the pure Red Duckwing color and the males would be Split for both Silver and Gold genes ane would look more like Golden Duckwings and the males could be used in later crossings too

This is great information, I sure appreciate it.
After the first cross Welsummer over Silver Duckwing (Silver Gray Dorking), would it be beat to cross to another red (gold) or does it need to be to perhaps a black? Also, would the Welsummer over Silver Duckwing (Silver Gray Dorking) achive the Black breast on red coloring?​

Quote:
This is great information, I sure appreciate it.
After the first cross Welsummer over Silver Duckwing (Silver Gray Dorking), would it be beat to cross to another red (gold) or does it need to be to perhaps a black? Also, would the Welsummer over Silver Duckwing (Silver Gray Dorking) achive the Black breast on red coloring?

I would cross to a Black or maybe a Penciled Partridge breed

Crossing the Wellsummer to the Silver Dorking will give pure colored BBRed pullets and roo that are split for both silver and gold genes and would look more like golden duckwings. Crossing those split roos to their sisters or pure Welsummer hens will give roos where half will be splits like the father and half will be pure gold( and will be pure BBRed colored) and with the hens, half would be BBRed and Half would be Silver Duckwing. ( hens cant be split for silver and gold, they are either one or the other)

Crossing those Split F1 roos back to a Silver Dorking hen would still the same percentages as crossing back to a BBRed, but instead of half of the roos being pure BBRed, that half would be pure Silver Duckwing.

Partridge is Penciled
wink.png

so no

Back
Top Bottom