How to heat a 5 gal nipple waterer

i throw a 250W deicer in my bucket with nipples.

i drilled a ~1” hole in the lid, then got a plastic plug, drilled a hole through the middle of it, and cut a slit in the side of it to accommodate the wire for the deicer.

keeping the gamma lid on the bucket keeps some heat in and the water stays clean.

Attachments

• 3B3E71F8-F553-4849-B6EF-3AC740FBB4B3.jpeg
    3B3E71F8-F553-4849-B6EF-3AC740FBB4B3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
i throw a 250W deicer in my bucket with nipples.

i drilled a ~1” hole in the lid, then got a plastic plug, drilled a hole through the middle of it, and cut a slit in the side of it to accommodate the wire for the deicer.

keeping the gamma lid on the bucket keeps some heat in and the water stays clean.
I have a similar unit. There are warnings all over the box not to use extention cords. What do you use? Can you take a pick of your deicer in the bucket, please?

I have an ext cord running to the coop from a GCI for my electric fence and was going to use that but i’m a bit hesitant ( prob unwarranted as E fence draws more)

I use this deicer in a 14 gallon plastic tote with horizontal nipples. Has kept the water thawed down to -26 F. It can be used in plastic container.
View attachment 3264835
I bought this exact one, but didn't go enough research before buying...the instructions say NOT to use an extension cord, and I don't have power near my coop, so I have not used it so far. Is yours plugged directly into an outlet, or do you use an extension cord (and if so, how long have you been doing so)?

Back
Top Bottom