How to move chickens?

I'm more interested in HOW to move them. I've never tried to 'catch' them. should I build a live trap and feed them into it?

I love my chickens but I don't touch them ...

Easiest way to catch and move a chicken is at night when they are roosting. Just walk up with a very dim light and just grab them with your hands over the wings with the head away from you if you can. They may make some noise but just hold firmly. Then just take them to where you want them and let go.

Thanks ... I may be able to work up the courage to do that ... but I'm not crazy about it ... the rooster has flogged me a little already ...

If your rooster has flogged you then he doesn't deserve to move with you.

For now, just go in the coop after they have settled down for the night and stroke their back. They'll squawk and complain but they won't leave. Just a few seconds then move on. Build on it .

I also don't handle my birds as a rule. If I need to move them I do it at night. Just grasp them around the wings so they can't flap too much and tuck them under your arm. If they get too flappy and you can't get a good grip, it's okay to hold them by the feet and carry them upside down briefly.

I agree if your rooster has flogged you and you're scared to handle him, he needs to go.

Easiest way to catch and move a chicken is at night when they are roosting. Just walk up with a very dim light and just grab them with your hands over the wings with the head away from you if you can. They may make some noise but just hold firmly. Then just take them to where you want them and let go.
How I move/handle them too.

So how did the move go..... about a year ago now?

It went great and better than I thought it would.

I had the two big boxes with holes in them. I put a little pine shavings in them. I really think they would have been fine stuffed in one box?

The hard part was catching them. Back then I didn't know about getting them in the dark so i spent a half an hour chasing chickens around.

It was about a 7 hour drive. I didn't have any food or water in the boxes and they were absolutely fine.

Back
Top Bottom