How to protect against hawks

Yea I have pavers all around my run now. Can't really afford to beef up this fencing we are installing or buying pavers. Holidays have the bank empty. My bday is the 20th so any bdsy money goes to the new run

Read somewhere that's hawks won't mess with full grown hens is that true

So when my four barred rock pullets grow up I would love to let them free range in my fenced in 1/3 acre backyard. Unfortunately we live in front of a big marshy pond which is home to several different hawks. I would love to know if there are any ways I could protect my chickens besides putting them in a enclosed run.

No, hawks especially red tail hawks love chunky hens.

There are 3 hawk species of concern to Backyard Chicken keepers. These three species collectively are known as chicken hawks. From the smallest to the biggest the Chicken Hawks are the Sharp Shinned (also called the Blue darter) the Coopers Hawk, and the Red Tail Hawk. The Sharp Shinned is bad news for baby chicks, the last two are bad news for anything dressed in feathers.

Last edited:
No chicken hawk list is complete without the Marsh Hawk aka Harrier Hawk aka Hen Harrier, few other alias one being adult males called Grey Ghost. America, Canada, England , EU, parts of Asia- Lets just say it's covers the entire northern hemisphere for range.

thumb

List is a little broader than posted so far. A couple more species often confused with Red-tailed Hawks can also be problematic. One in particular is associated with the short-grass prairie states. Species like Harriers and Sharp-shinned should pose little threat to adult standard sized chickens. A point to be made is some breeds should not be free-ranged without direct supervision as they are vulnerable to much broader range of threats and not all are predators.

Then there is the Red Shouldered Hawk (often confused with Red Tail due to shear size).

220px-Red-shouldered_hawk_taking_flight.JPG

I've never had any serious problems with hawks. I keep young standard sized birds in a covered pen until over 3 months of age. Once I was admiring a hawk coming in on a swooping dive until it dawned on me it was diving into my yard! Had been relaxing on the deck with a few beverages and the birds pecking about the yard in front of me. Was only three bounds to be from lounge chair to middle of yard waving my arms to veer it away. It was 30-40 ft in air by that time and quickly hooked left to complete it's dive out over the Connecticut river.

Red-shouldered Hawks here do not pose a problem. Species of particular concern are the Ferruginous Hawk and Rough-legged Hawk. Former is a little larger than the Red-tailed Hawk. Both can be found here during some winters with former being more interested in chickens than even the Red-tailed Hawk. They are a lot of fun when snow is deep.

Well, I have some good news and bad news about my chicken / Hawk adventure. I found out that I live on a migratory path of Golden EAGLES! What I thought was a hawk is actually a golden eagle that killed my bitty rooster. Since my ordeal I have installed a chicken door with flaps and made a small chicken fenced in area with bird netting over the top for my young ladies and roo to get out and enjoy the sun.

They have totally figured it out in less than a week. And thank goodness because we had 10 birds circling them today. My guy was outside and put them in before any issues. A eagle was dive bombing them in the pen when my guy "cawed" loudly as a warning and all the birds RAN into the coop through the flaps in their new door! I also sat outside with them and the Rooster is getting the hang of being the EYES of the crew.

Bad news is I have this Awesome large area for them to forage in and I can't let them roam unchaperoned for a bit anyways.

I'm working on planting more bushes and setting up more yard art for them to hide under.

I put CD's in the trees to reflect the sun into the eagles eyes.

Just today I saw falcons, hawks, vultures and eagles in my backyard in less than 20 minutes! WOW!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom