How to protect against hawks

No I did not take a pict of the eagle, but I saw the bird that killed my Pepper and I saw the same bird perch on a tower next door. It screeched at me as I told it to Eff off and I gave it my bird. It was an Eagle. This was big one, it was about 7 lbs. Defiantly NOT a 3 lb hawk. Today my guy watched first 6 then ten of them circle our backyard. We live in a prime area for attack. There are strong trees in neighboring backyards and our yard is narrow and long. It's and 1/8 of a mile long. Basically no people around to ward off attacks.

I live less than 5 miles from the ocean along coastal Texas near Galveston.

We also have barn and great horned owls here. I'm a huge bird fan (obviously.) For me it's fascinating and frustrating all at the same time.

Last edited:
We do have Eagles here but I've only seen them near the river. I live 5 miles from the river. I would be scared though if I saw that one in the picture with it's claws out, going for my birds.

The area I live in has lots of ponds and bayous. I have a small pond for my girls to hunt around. Most importantly there are lots of other birds, squirrels, skunks bunnies and raccoons for big birds to eat.

The area I live in has lots of ponds and bayous. I have a small pond for my girls to hunt around. Most importantly there are lots of other birds, squirrels, skunks bunnies and raccoons for big birds to eat.
It's so true. I've plenty of field that's loaded with mice. Hawks regularly perch on the phone wire not 300 yards from where my birds are in electric poultry fencing. Will I eventually lose a bird to a bird of prey? I've no doubt of it. Eventually something will happen making for low mice population one year (animal populations are cyclical) so hawks will need to risk injury attacking large prey- my birds.

The benefit of portable fencing outweighs potential risk for me.

Last edited:
I just joined this group. I've learned a lot from all of you already and am new to raising chickens. I bought 4, I thought hens, on 5/21/2016 and found out quickly they were 1 rooster and 3 hens. Ok fine. They are now big Wyandottes and 1 had 3 babies on 3/1, 3/2 and 3/5 this year. I'm thrilled. At first the 4 when at age, roamed my entire property but we confined them now and they have a very large area now with a small coop. I lock them up in the coop at night. We will build them a 8x10 coop this spring.
The closed in area has a lot of places for them to hide and has many trees. Today I lost 1 of my babies and I'm crushed. I still don't know how it happened bc I was letting them out in the early morning and feeding them. The babies were all there. I turned around to shoo the other big chickens away from mama bird and her chicks, so they could eat quietly. I turn around and I miss the baby hen. I have been looking everywhere for her but can't find her. My last hope, tho very slim, she comes out of hiding tonight to go in the coop. I know it won't happen. I think it must be a hawk, bc they r around here in Sebastopol where I live. What to do? I would hate to lock them up until they r full grown. It is so cute to watch them roam around with mom who is teaching them their chicken life. What really shocks me is that not only I didn't notice the hawk or whatever it was, nor did the rooster or the other birds. And what about mom? Usually when they see a big bird, dog, whatever is strange to them, the rooster goes crazy. He even has attacked birds in the run. I've noticed nothing!!
Netting might be something I could live with but it will require a lot of netting. What do you guys think?

So sorry to hear about your missing chick!
sad.png

I'm not sure you need netting for the adults. They tend to be more saavy over time with the Rooster's help.
Chicks are so tiny and easy to take.

So, I'd keep them protected when there are chicks. Once they are full size, or nearly, you could consider letting them out to free range under supervision.

That said, I do have an daytime larger netted area for my adults, because hawks and bald eagles are rampant in our area, and I can't be there all of the time.
I only let them out when I am around. But we can't have a rooster, so that makes a difference.

I lost two hens to a hawk today. It went into the coop. I heard a ruckus and ran out and scared the hawk out. Buying netting tomorrow.
Very sorry to hear this!
sad.png

I'm very satisfied with the poultry/avairy netting that I got off of Amazon. (I believe 1 inch holes, although 2 inch would be fine, too)

I use some of these to support it in the middle (if you have a wide area to cover), they are very stable.

http://www.camonettingstore.com/camonetting-supports/camo-netting-supports-full-aluminum-set/

Back
Top Bottom