How to repair crack in waterer

AZMama6

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Peoria, AZ
I installed horizontal water nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. I was getting ready to fill it and I noticed a small 1/4" crack in the bucket coming from one of the drilled holes. Is there something that I can seal the crack with that will hold and is non-toxic, or do I have to start over with a new bucket? Thank you!

I installed horizontal water nipples in a 5 gallon bucket. I was getting ready to fill it and I noticed a small 1/4" crack in the bucket coming from one of the drilled holes. Is there something that I can seal the crack with that will hold and is non-toxic, or do I have to start over with a new bucket? Thank you!
how about flex seal spray or flex tape ?

Sometimes I just need someone to state the obvious. It would be cheaper to buy a new bucket than buy sealant. :rolleyes: Although, with inflation, it's $4.28 instead of $2. Thanks!

Ask for an empty frosting bucket at your grocery store's bakery.

A near-infinite supply of food-grade plastic buckets in several sizes.

Easily repaired - remove the nipple, dry the area inside and out, and put a small square of duct or Gorilla tape inside and outside where the crack is. Replace the nipple and you're good to go! I have a post about that HERE.

1656815919696.png

I've done multiple repairs on my two, 2 gallon buckets. All the repairs are 100% secure. Once in a while I'll hit a nipple on a rock when carrying it back to the run and get another crack. I suppose at some point I'll need to get new buckets, but if I can put off measuring and drilling for a while, tape it is!

Back
Top Bottom