How to sex a Chick

No problem and how i can tell is because the Roos would have big red crowns by that time and the hens look like that but some females have big crowns like that at the same time but those are females most def

LOVE my barred rocks, sooo easy to sex!!! Don't know much about other breeds,I stick to the BR's and a gonna get a few Dom;s next spring, Lord willing, am on the waiting list
wee.gif
same sexing way with them as the BR's I understand! Goind all heritage next year, Lord willing!!!! I am sooo excited!!! Working hard to get things right!!!

Does it work every time.? How do you do it?

Pretty much. Some can fool ya, but mostly it's right on. The head spots are the clearest. The pullets will have a real clear yellow head spot. The cockerels will have a more diverse yellow on their heads. When they are two weeks, there is a STARK difference between the two. The cockerels are darker and bigger, with a clear white line on their wings, as the pullets are very dark, with a much darker line on their wings. Does that help any? Ask if you have more questions, k? I did post some pics, would you like some on here too? I took some of the pullets yesterday, at about 2 weeks and can post those too.

Pretty much. Some can fool ya, but mostly it's right on. The head spots are the clearest. The pullets will have a real clear yellow head spot. The cockerels will have a more diverse yellow on their heads. When they are two weeks, there is a STARK difference between the two. The cockerels are darker and bigger, with a clear white line on their wings, as the pullets are very dark, with a much darker line on their wings. Does that help any? Ask if you have more questions, k? I did post some pics, would you like some on here too? I took some of the pullets yesterday, at about 2 weeks and can post those too.

I meant the cockerels are lighter not darker...I can't edit it, so am posting it. It's the pullets that are dareker...they cockerels will look almost gray. sorry

This is close to two weeks. These are standard American Dominique's from vnsseed, but the Dom's were crossed with the Java to make the BR's originally by E.B.Thompsom and Ralph Sturgeon in the mid to late 1800's ( The ones I just got from this line do NOT have clear head spots ) but the production/hatchery birds are sex links, so have the spots also. I just got some of Jwhips GSBR's and I thought, after much watching, as they do not have distinct head spotting, that I had picked out all the pullets in the lot...now....not so sure...another week or so and it should be much more clear. I'll try to post some picks of them, when I am more sure of their sexing. Hope this helps. I know they are side picks, but you can see the head spots on them even so. The cockerels have hardly any and what they do have, is no where near as distinct. Sorry it took so long. Lots of chicks coming in close together

LOVE my barred rocks, sooo easy to sex!!! Don't know much about other breeds,I stick to the BR's and a gonna get a few Dom;s next spring, Lord willing, am on the waiting list
wee.gif
same sexing way with them as the BR's I understand! Goind all heritage next year, Lord willing!!!! I am sooo excited!!! Working hard to get things right!!!
How do you sex barred rocks?

Back
Top Bottom