How to sex Muscovy ducklings

I will check on mine later today. I have 4 that are almost feathered in and 10 that are still fuzzies that I have in a brooder. There are some out with the mams but I can't catch those to see.
I also have 6 hens on nests. It has been a long year for hatching from my Muscovy.

These babies are waiting to go out in their grassy pen for the day. I put them up every night in case of rain or predators or them possibly getting chilled.

Any tips on getting them over their shyness? I purchased 11 assorted ages...the oldest are about 3 months old but I have to really think it out in order to catch them. The youngest are the 4 week ones. I moved them into the house because I felt the large outdoor pen was too large...they seemed to get trampled by the older ones and I also thought I might have a better time de-shying (new word, lol) them. The girls seem much more interested in becoming friendly than the boys do, but I was wondering if there are any extra tips...thanks! :) I love them anyways -- just like to be able to catch all my animals.

Last edited:
I try to raise mine in a brooder and then in small pens. Right now I handle them every day and before I have to pick them up I try to offer meal worms. Live, wiggly meal worms. They are still skittish under they get over a year old and then they turn into loves.

Any tips on getting them over their shyness? I purchased 11 assorted ages...the oldest are about 3 months old but I have to really think it out in order to catch them. The youngest are the 4 week ones. I moved them into the house because I felt the large outdoor pen was too large...they seemed to get trampled by the older ones and I also thought I might have a better time de-shying (new word, lol) them. The girls seem much more interested in becoming friendly than the boys do, but I was wondering if there are any extra tips...thanks! :) I love them anyways -- just like to be able to catch all my animals.

Time, treats can help but honestly they have to learn to trust and ducks being prey animals mean they are naturally afraid of anything new, different or not of the same species.

I can handle all my ducks if need be, that said i prefer to just herd the scovies in or about.. i have no desire for in the pocket birds lol

Thanks for the ideas...I have officially moved the babies outdoors, though still in a separate pen... WOW! Way too sloppy to keep in my house at their age, lol! They flooded the brooder this morning with their drinking water. So now they are outside I am anticipating losing all the headway I made with them...maybe not? Either way, I will be looking forward to their 1st birthday!! :) Thanks again!

--Marie

With 8 lavender scovie ducklings and 2 splits already out in the day play pen and night time pen in a coop I am not minding them too much.
However, another 10 lavender scovie babes were hatched out yesterday along with a bunch of splits but I left the splits with the moms to raise and have the lavs in a brooder. Starting over again with the mess.

Awww! Cute babies! I love the lavender ones... Soo hard to get Muscovies in my area -- New Mexico. I actually had to drive to Arizona! Any tips on how to prevent water spillage all over the brooder?

At this new hatched age I use a little water bowl but when they are a week old I will use a milk jug with a hole cute out of the side so they can get their heads in it. But it doesn't really work to keep the wet down. At 2 weeks old they are out in the barn on the floor cage or on a wire bottom brooder cage. I try to get them out in a grassy day cage ASAP though. I still bring them in at night so I can handle them and for safety.
I haven't ever seen anything to help with the nasty brooder. Wish I could invent something and make a couple cool mil.

LOL! if you invent something can you post it here first? haha! I should try the milk jug thing. I think anything would be better than a chick waterer since they just seem to lose 98% of the water they intake right out the bottom of their bill...oh well. ;)

I never use a chick waterer since they can't dip their beaks all the way and wash out their nostrils. I try to just use a milk jug with a hole big enough for their heads. Maybe a hole on each side but not big enough for their shoulders. Had a duckling get in and die one time.
I have to make a new one every week as they grow.

Back
Top Bottom