how to stop diarrhea!!!!!!!

Quote:
I had chicks once that had runny brown poop. I found out I was giving them to much vitamins and electrolytes.

Chop up some garlic and give with a little cooked rice (not a whole lot, just a table spoon or so per bird), it won't hurt them. The garlic seemed to help my hen and she loved it.

chickenlady: I am confused ? I thought that I was doing them good,giving them ACV after researching it. They were on organic chick starter mash different supplier , now no choice ,had to purchase in town due to expense of shipping thru MPC. No known poop issues with first ,they were younger and exhibited all normal(stools) Current is organic pellets chstarter/grower, compared both labels, very close or right on the money. I am so frustrated right now. Their poop is formed .dark brown .smelly no water mixed in due to being overheated.............. help! I give them a small banana to share between 7 ,hand fed.

brown rice ok and fresh garlic correct?silkies 7 weeks old tomorrow.I do not give them vitamins or electrolytes though...........

Last edited:
chickenlady: I am confused ? I thought that I was doing them good,giving them ACV after researching it.

I'm not saying the ACV is the cause of your problem, Im not sure. I have heard it was good also. It just seemed that the two of you having this same problem were both using organic feed. Was just trying to see if OP was using ACV also. In my mind, it is possible for her birds to have worms, but yours are a different story. I suppose they can but they are very young and you still have them in a brooder, so I would think unlikely. Just trying to rule things out to try and help find a solution.

If this condition is due to different foods being introduced, maybe just getting back to chicken feed only for a week might be a good idea.

Does organic feed have alot of corn in it? Just curious.​

I also don't know that ACV in the water every day is a good idea. I would think that would increase the risk for sour crop conditions.

hinkjc: Maybe I should give acv in water every other day? Anyone have input on this as well? Thank you hinkjc.

chickenlady: Corn is First ingredient and first ingredient on all food labels usually means a very large percentage of it is in the feed. Both of my feeds listed corn first though. I have not introduced any new foods until today when I decided to give them very small portion of cooked brown rice with chopped very fine fresh garlic ,this either will help or not , or make zero difference. They currently get a small banana hand fed every morning nothing else except their organic chick starter/grower pelllets and of course acv in water which is room temp.Thanx for your help.

Last edited:
I don't put anything in their water. and not all my birds have diarrhea just one of my hens she does seem much better these last few days but the weird thing is that she has always poop large amounts I'm talking the size of a lemon her poop is enormous !!! Even when she doesn't have diarrhea

I hope we see the last of the dark brown smelly poop. I gave them each small portions of cooked brown rice with a chopped fine raw bulb of garlic. I find it hard to believe a change could/would occur so rapidly.I have cleaned after them as usual the mystery poop appears to be gone! Each Silkie preffered to eat the portion out of my hand and today has been a doozy with their shavings free for all in food and water. They acted nuts! I don't think full moon tonight,maybe they either enjoyed the concotion and or it really l made them feel good again. Has anyone ever witnessed such quick results and this behavior before? They are 7 weeks old today and I felt I had a full blown circus in the brooder today I can smile again !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom