How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
hi I just had NO eggs hatching out of 32 - 16 in an incubator and the rest under 2 devoted broodies. I am thinking my roo is infertile yet when I eggtopsied the ones in the incubator there were at least 3 that LOOKED fertile.
I have just cracked another one today and am doubting my sanity. Please can you confirm whether you think this is fertile or infertile -thanks!

these are all pictures of the same egg - sorry the light was a bit funny.

Hi!
I am raising chicken eggs for a science experiment. Do you know how I could check that they are fertile, I dont want to break the shell though. The eggs have been in the incubator for about a week and a half in a HovaBator Incubator. There are 10 white and 10 tan. All the eggs come from the same flock of chickens. We also have a rooster. All the chickens and the rooster are about a year old. I got these eggs from our own flock so I am really not sure if the eggs are fertile or not but I need to know to conduct my experiment.

I searched on BackyardChickens and on Google how to check the fertility but mostly all they say is to crack the egg open, which i cannot do because the eggs need to be in their original, uncracked shell. Another person said that I could try putting the egg in water but I'm not really sure how I would do that or if it would damage the incubated egg. Please Help!

Thank you!

okay so now that I found this thread I am VERY confused!

do these eggs look fertile to you guys?

we have just recently noticed these "spots" never before noticed them, and now that I'm reading this I'm like: HUH? we did not think we have a rooster.
We know that our 3 Original hens are hens, because all 3 are laying, now we did let the 8 newer ones that we got from Meyers in december run with the original 3 hens.
We have never heard a crow or seen any mating.
Do we have an undercover Rooster??

thank you!

all you pro's out there, please tell me if my eggs are fertile or not, I know I'm being super impatient but I'm sooo egg-cited. Especially since I have a broody hen and could just let her hatch some if they in fact are fertile, well and I'd like to know who's my undercover rooster ;)

MollyDora I"m a newbie and thought the white spots always meant fertile because I don't usually notice them.... Now it was pointed out to me that all eggs have the spot the important thing is whether there is a bulls eye ring around it or if it is just a small white spot... do you have an incubator? I'd suggest putting a few in for a week and then candling to check for fertility.

okay so now that I found this thread I am VERY confused!

do these eggs look fertile to you guys?

we have just recently noticed these "spots" never before noticed them, and now that I'm reading this I'm like: HUH? we did not think we have a rooster.
We know that our 3 Original hens are hens, because all 3 are laying, now we did let the 8 newer ones that we got from Meyers in december run with the original 3 hens.
We have never heard a crow or seen any mating.
Do we have an undercover Rooster??

thank you!

all you pro's out there, please tell me if my eggs are fertile or not, I know I'm being super impatient but I'm sooo egg-cited. Especially since I have a broody hen and could just let her hatch some if they in fact are fertile, well and I'd like to know who's my undercover rooster ;)
My guess is they are not fertile because they don't have a "white target". All eggs have a white germinal disk (which appears as a white spot or smudge). This is like the females' "genetic info" and the white ring going around the spot is the males' genetic info (sperm).
If you can have a rooster with your flock, they are really easy to find on Craigslist..........and then you will have baby chicks

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom