How to Tell a Fertile vs INfertile Egg (Pictures)

Pics
Ok I haven't cruised the whole thread for pictures but I would like some input on some eggs that ran the full incubation before I figured they were bad. Some of the ones I opened were still yellow with mostly intact yolks. I am guessing that these were infertile and had no bacteria problems. Some were yellow and scrambled probably from transport. Some were orange with black floaty things. some were green soup with black floaty thing a couple were black soup with green floaty things. Only one had a 10 day chick in it.

I would have provided you with pictures but I only have my computer camera at the moment and I am not bringing those stinkers in the house!

Obviously bacteria was a problem. What I am wanting to know is can you tell from this which were simply infertile and those that were damaged by transport. I want to be fair. This is my first batch of mail order eggs. What is the accepted etiquette for asking for replacement eggs? When is it a valid request and how should you ask?

By the way speaking of bacteria.... Can the new product Vetericin be used by poultry? I figure it can be used on equipment as a disinfecting spray. It says nothing on the label one way or the other about using it directly on the birds. If you are unfamiliar with it it is a clear spray that can be used on wounds, burns, hotspots, sterilizing equipment, sterilizing udders and be used on horses, cows, sheep, goats, pigs, dogs and I think even cats. I have used it on myself when cutting myself working with the animals and it works amazingly. You heal twice as fast. Only using Neosporin and Triple-antibiotic ointments come close to comparing. It is expensive but worth every penny.

My thought was that it would be good to sterilize incubators and maybe spray on the eggs just before they go into the incubator. Unlike bleach it does not have a corrosive factor (it is used in wounds after all). You wouldn't wipe the egg just spray it and put it in.

I know how to tell if the egg is fertile WITHOUT opening it.

1. get a box and cut a hole in the top so an egg can sit 3/4 out of the box (1/4 in the box just to hold it in place.)
2. get a VERY bright torch and sit it in the box directly pointing at the bottom of the egg.
3. when the torch is on, the egg should light up, and you should see the yolk 'floating' in it. (it looks like its floating when its NOT fertile.)
4. wriggle the egg round and if the yolk move round, its non fertile.
5. if the egg stays still and look bigger, it should be fertile.

hope this helped anyone!
smile.png

To those who recently asked about checking fertility without cracking open the eggs...I would suggest setting them in your incubator for seven days and then candling them. If you see good veining and the beginnings of an embryo, there are fertile. If you see nothing and the egg is clear...then crack it open and look for the bullseye target. An egg can be fertile yet not develop.

Great article.
I have bought a few Pheasant eggs lately and the sellers say they confirm fertility before they ship . can any one tell how they are doing this by candling . because I have had a good many of then not produce an embro at 10 days or later of incubation , upon cracking open the shells and inspecting you will not see any blood lives or evidence of fertile eggs . then I think iv been sold allot of un fertile eggs. Am I wrong in presuming this ?

so I have two layers with a rooster .the last two days I have seen him mounting them . and today I found two eggs .do I pick them or do I leave them . it would be nice to have some more chicks but what if the egg is not fertile how soon can I tell

Back
Top Bottom