How too breed Bantam silver laced Wyandottes

POHUENUI

Hatching
Jul 18, 2022
Hi how would you go about breeding bantam silver laced Wyandottes have only seen them once years ago in nz an would love too try breeding them
Cheers

I personally would start with standard silver laced Wyandottes and introduce bantam sizing with a bantam, possibly a Cochin, though that will introduce unwanted foot feather (to clean up in future generations) and a single comb genetics...however your Wyandotte rose comb will be dominant (you'll have to weed out the single comb progeny).

I'm not up on my silver lacing genetics, but I would choose the bantam such that it would not mess with my SL coloring, which I think is silver (black inhibiting) lacing on black based body. I likely would start with black bantam or a silver laced.

The first generation will produce a smaller version of the SL Wyandotte. If Cochin is used, the legs clean up in the 2nd generation without foot feathering when bred back to the pure clean footed standard, at least half the time, and you still get about a 3/4 sized bird. I'd start breeding those 3/4 sized birds with proper coloring and comb and no foot feathering to further my project.

Working with a rose combed clean footed bantam would prevent some additional steps cleaning up unwanted traits.

That's how I'd do it. I answered out of curiosity in hopes that someone knowledgeable will answer and I can read it too.

I can say that I have reproduced Gold Laced Barnevelders at a smaller size by including bantam Cochin genes. It only took me a couple of generations to get a nice lacing on a smaller bird, with clean feet...but I didn't pursue that project as I was really breeding my Cochin line forward to get bigger broodies rather than smaller Barnies.

I hope someone has a stellar response for you. But that's my best guess.

@NatJ Do you have suggestions?

LofMc

SL coloring (which I think is silver (black inhibiting) lacing on black based body).
Silver Laced usually means a silver bird with black lacing.

Hi how would you go about breeding bantam silver laced Wyandottes have only seen them once years ago in nz an would love too try breeding them
Can you get bantam Wyandottes in any other color? One of the Laced colors would be best (Gold Laced, Blue Laced Red, etc.), but any color might be helpful. Silver Columbian (white with black patterning) could be used with any laced color to provide all the right genes for Silver Laced.

Or can you get Silver Sebrights? They would be bantam sized, have rose combs, and have the silver laced pattern. For proper Wyandottes, you would need the Wandotte body type (which Sebrights do not have), and you would need to get rid of the hen feathering from the Sebrights. So you would want to cross with standard-sized Silver Laced Wyandottes, or with bantam Wyandottes of whatever color you can get.

Oh I must of missed that in their post

have only seen them once years ago in nz
I took that as meaning NZ is where they live, but now I realize it doesn't actually say that. It might just be where they saw those bantam Wyandottes in the past.

So I guess we don't know for sure where they are living now, and whether bantam Silver Laced Wyandottes are already available there.

@POHUENUI

I found this article on Wyandotte coloring. A bit technical, but it walks through the genetics of where you want to go.

Doing some reading on some genetic sites will help you understand "what's under the hood" of the birds you want to use. There are some very readable genetic articles and a genetic calculator (which is wonderful to help plan breeding pairs) here:
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

I think if you can get your hands on some decent Wyandottes, hopefully silver laced, which typically is quite common, breeding appropriately with a bantam will downsize to bantam. As I said, it was quite easy to cross breed a bantam to standard and end up with 3/4 size for several generations. I actually am finding the smaller size tends to recur in the flock, so I am confident, once I got the smaller size and headed in the direction of the gold lacing, it wouldn't have taken me too many generations to get a nice bantam Gold Laced Barnevelder. It was actually easier than I thought it would be as I've got 3/4 size now.

https://minifluffsrabbitry.weebly.com/wyandotte-chicken-color-genetics.html

Good luck. Let us know how the project goes.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom